This house was built in 1889 by the Ecce Quam Bonum Club. They secured the lot back of Thompson Hall, now known as the "Union", and, by assessment on the members, raised the money to build the small wooden house. This house had probably three rooms which were used for meetings, reading, and recreation. A billard and pool table were installed in the back room and in constant use. Founded in 1870, EQB functioned as literary and social club. The club was originally a male society consisting of faculty members, administrators, and “gentlemen resident at Sewanee” who gathered twice monthly for lectures called “leads.” The house was used by the club for about a decade until 1899 when the University offered two rooms over the old Supply Store. This was so that they could build the Sewanee Union Theater on the house’s lot. Rather than tear the house down the University moved it just down the street next to Dr. Torian’s residence.
There it became the fraternity house of Alpha Kappa Kappa, a medical fraternity. After 1907 it became the office of Dr. Reynold Kirby-Smith when he was elected Officer of the University and Chief of Staff of the Emerald Hodgson Hospital. Later it became the residence of John and Betty Hodges. The residents preceding them more or less in order were Mrs. Echols and her niece, John and Ellen Webb, Harry and Jean Yeatman, Cruse and Jim Clark, who sold it to Ed and Elizabeth Camp. The Camps added the left wing. The house is currently owned by W. B. Rodgers and Marion Beasley as of 1983.
A. Armour, personal communication.
Gerald L. Smith and Sean T. Suarez, "Sewanee Places; A Historical Gazetteer of the Domain and the Sewanee Area" p. 197
T. Hodgson, personal communication.