Browse Items (351 total)

Lovell House004.jpg
The Lovell home, “Sunnyside,” was built in 1870 by H.N. Caldwell, the town druggist. The house served as his primary residence while the cottage next door (Miller House) was where he operated the “Book Store and Pharmacy.” In August of 1873 the lease…

21026843-Hospitality-House001.jpg
The home on University Avenue, Sewanee, now occupied by the Hospitality shop is one of the older homes on the domain. The Rev. Mr. Philip Werlein has many happy memoiries of visits to his Grand-Mother in this home, built in 1891? "IDLEWILD" was the…

22428129-Dubose-Refectory003.jpg
"This cottage was built on a location south of the Chapel. Dr. DuBose was made Chaplain the summer of 1871. He spent the rest of the year rounding up students in South Carolina dn bringing them back with him to Sewanee. In March, 1872, he built the…

22428128-Dubose-Refectory002.tif
"This cottage was built on a location south of the Chapel. Dr. DuBose was made Chaplain the summer of 1871. He spent the rest of the year rounding up students in South Carolina dn bringing them back with him to Sewanee. In March, 1872, he built the…

Dubose Refectory001.jpg
"This cottage was built on a location south of the Chapel. Dr. DuBose was made Chaplain the summer of 1871. He spent the rest of the year rounding up students in South Carolina dn bringing them back with him to Sewanee. In March, 1872, he built the…

Alabama Hall.jpg
Mrs. Elizabeth Polk, a relative of Bishop Polk, built this large house in 1871 as a boarding house for students. It stood to the south of the present McCrady Hall on the west side, of Alabama Avenue.

“Next comes widow Polk, a distant cousin of our…

Virginia Cottag002.jpg
This house stood on the west side of University Avenue where the Corley house is now, next to Tuckaway. It was built by Mrs. Field Dunbar. The September 1873, University Record noted, "Mrs. Dunbar's handsome cottage home has been completed." It…

20861934-Colmore-House002.jpg
This house was constructed by Mr. C.W. Scofield in 1887, the same year he built the Truslow-Elliott house. The first residents, Mrs. Frances Sylva D’Arusmont Guthrie and her two sons, Kenneth and William Norman, lived in the house for one year. Mrs.…

20861932-Colmore-House001.jpg
This house was built by the University in 1887 for Mrs. Frances Sylva D’Arusmont Guthrie. She lived there with her two sons, Kenneth and William Norman. Both became clergymen and William Norman was the well know rector of St. Mark's-in-the-Bowerie in…

21021040-Goodstein-House001.jpg
This house was built by Mr. C. J. Schofield, a contractor, builder, and also Secretary to the Vice Chancellor, for Dr. J. W. S. Arnold in 1887. The same year, Mr. Schofield built the Colmore house. Professor Arnold had succeeded Dr. John Elliot as…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2