This house stood on the lot now occupied by Colonel Dudley's house, opposite the Sewanee Military Academy. Reverend Harvey O. Judd built the house in 1871. Harvey and his family were a staple of early Sewanee and Winchester life. When the Judds moved to Sewanee in 1859, Harvey went to the University and built a "Steam Laundry" near Mr. Hayes' mill in the village. Both he and his younger brother, the famous Spencer Judd, were photographers for the area. During the Civil War Harvey closed his gallery and went to Talladega, Alabama, where he made gun caps and bullets for the C. S. A. After the war he reopened his gallery and continued work until deciding to become an Episcopal clergyman. He built this house during this time and sold it in 1872 to eventually become Reverend at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Macon, Georgia.
“He is a divinity student, was once on the stage. His manner is a little tragic but he is good and self-sacrificing. He has a nice little wife and pretty daughter, like little Phoebe.” – Sarah Barnwell Elliot to her brother.
In 1873, Mr. William F. Graham, the director of the Chapel Choir, also of a "Cornet Band", bought the house. John Walker Weber who entered college in 1872 and later taught penmanship, was made temporary Headmaster of the Sewanee Military Academy, in 1880. His mother, Mrs. Henri Weber had the lease in 1884 and lived here after he left in 1889. In 1893 Dr. John S. Cain of Nashville became Dean of the Medical School and lived here with his daughter and son-in-law, Dr. and Mrs. Hayden West, until it burned in 1917. This fire was a real social event with all the ladies presiding over piles of china and household goods in the yard, while Dr. Cain, who was a little confused, threw all sorts of things out of the windows.
Colonel and Mrs. Garland built the present house in 1938.
This house stood on the road which ran to the north of the present Quintard building and curved around to the station. It was built by Rev. Franklin L. Knight, the first chaplain of the University and the instructor in Greek and Latin. The second resident was Doctor William M. Harlow. Harlow entered the University in 1873 and was so entranced with Sewanee he never left. After school, Dr. Harlow launched his publishing career and positioned himself as the premier journalist of the town. He was responsible for many of the University’s newspapers, including The University News, The News, The Semi-Weekly University News, University Gossip, and The Mountain News. Many of these publications were printed by “Wm. M. Harlow and Co.” and were subtitled: Free, Frank, and Fearless—his personal motto. It is believed that his printing press was a house in the village that was razed in 1969.
Dr. Harlow also was the first person Preston Brooks, Jr. partnered with for his general store in the village. When Brooks retired, Harlow acquired the store and turned it into his family home. The house was colloquially known ever after as “The Harlow Place” or “Harlow’s.” Dr. Harlow operated his store as “Harlow and Co. Stationers” where he sold notebooks, pens, and dictionaries, but also household goods like wallpaper and imported pictures. He even kept French harps and Italian violin strings in his inventory. The Flea (another Harlow newspaper) declared in 1882, “‘Brains and Pains’ is the business motto of Harlow and Co. They take the pains to use their brains to please the public and add their gains’” Other ventures of Dr. Harlow’s were poetry, real estate, and medicine (hence Doctor Harlow). He died in Sewanee in 1891. The house’s third resident, Sam Slack, lived with his family in this house for some years. Slack was a clergyman who graduated from the college in 1891 and taught at The Sewanee Military Academy in 1893-1894. As an alumnus, he wrote his reminiscences for Purple Sewanee (pages 29-30, 67, 72-73). The house burned at the turn of the 20th century.
Chace, J. B. (n.d.). Ancient Mariner - The Life and Work of Henry Chase.
Gailor, C. (1970). Old Sewanee Houses; The First Fifty-Years, 1860-1910. Unpublished manuscript, Sewanee: The University of the South, Sewanee.
Symbolically, this house is one of the most important of Sewanee’s early buildings. The building was named for the Rev. Francis Tremlett, an English clergyman, who hosted and assisted Bishop Quintard on his trip to England in 1867 to raise money to open the University. With the funds raised on that trip, Bishop Quintard was able to construct this building—the first boardinghouse for students at University Place. Built on the site of Mrs. Gass’ house, Tremlett Hall was a small dormitory holding 42 students. Constructed in the summer of 1868 at Rowe (Polk) spring—the spring itself was also renamed Tremlett Spring in honor of the Rev. Tremlett. The hall was described as a sturdy, blockish building of massed plan and two stories tall. In 1870, a four-room and a two-room cottage added to the yard.
In 1897, Tremlett was remodeled and opened as a boarding house for the medical students. The charge for board was 12 dollars per month. It functioned for two seasons. Tremlett Hall was for many years the domain of Miss Fannie M. Preston, the most famous of all Sewanee's matrons. She was known for her regal and quiet demeanor. She left Tremlett to look after old Hoffman when it was built in 1899. Tremlett Hall was razed in 1916 by the University.
This two-story Sears and Roebuck house is one of two on Virginia Avenue. Various people have owned this house over the years. Mrs. Andrew Moore was the original creator of this dwelling followed by A.C. and Lillian Thomspn in the thirties and forties. Mary Lear and Alta Featherston also occupied the home followed by the Janeway family from 1954 until 2016.
This two-story Sears and Roebuck house is one of two on Virginia Avenue. Various people have owned this house over the years. Mrs. Andrew Moore was the original creator of this dwelling followed by A.C. and Lillian Thomspn in the thirties and forties. Mary Lear and Alta Featherston also occupied the home followed by the Janeway family from 1954 until 2016.
The one-story Ward House is one of two Sears Roebuck Houses on Virginia Avenue. Mrs. Andrew Moore was initially the creator of the house but owners, Albin Thompson and Lillian Thompson llived in he house in the 1950s and 1960s before selling it to Thomas and Carolyn Ward in 1967. The Wards still are owners of this dwelling as of 2018..