Goodstein House

Dublin Core

Title

Goodstein House

Description

Built for W.S. Arnold, professor of Geology and Chemistry, in 1887. Ownership passed to Mrs. Henry Edward Young of Charleston out of Arthur Middleton Rutledge Family. 1901-1907 Dean of the Law school lived there Captain Albert McNeal. Bought for $7,000 by Edmund Kirby- Smith oldest son of The General in 1907 The Kirby-Smiths sold it and moved to Mexico to manage family silver mines for a few years. Mr. & Mrs. Grover Sykes with ties to the coal industry in Grundy County owned it. In 1924 Ms. Marie Truslow and MS. Charlotte St. John Elliott ( a Granddaughter of Bishop Elliott of Georgia one of the Founding Bishops) bought it living there until 1958. Stephen and Upshur Puckette then owned it from1958-1966. Stephen a great grandson of Bishop Elliott lived there while he was teaching math. In 1966 they left for him to teach at the University of Kentucky. It is now owned by an alumni Joseph DeLozier

Date

1887

Rights

All photographs are the property of the University of the South Archives and Special Collections Department
''

Format

architecture

Identifier

Goodstein House003.jpg

Files

22377940-Goodstein-House003.jpg

Collection

Tags

Citation

“Goodstein House,” Online Exhibitions and Digital History, accessed May 21, 2019, http://omeka.sewanee.edu/document/529.

Image Viewer

Click below to view an image using the Zoom.it viewer.

Embed

Copy the code below into your web page

 

Item Relations

This item has no relations.