DuBose-Haskell House

Dublin Core

Title

DuBose-Haskell House

Description

This house was built by the University for Dr. Theodore DuBose in 1888. He was the University’s health officer until 1891. In 1906, the house was passed to Dr. DuBose’s uncle Rev. William Porcher DuBose for his organization, the St. Luke’s Brotherhood for the Increase of the Ministry. Formed in Nov. of 1892, the Brotherhood’s function was to foster interest in the ministry and provide assistance to candidates in the School of Theology. Rev. DuBose was the president of this organization and dean of the theological department.

The house was later acquired by his son, Rev. William Haskell DuBose. He was a professor in the School of Theology and ministered churches in Tracy City and Monteagle. After Rev. DuBose’s death in 1936, the house was rented to various theologues. It was razed to make way for Bishop’s Common.

Date

1888

Type

Still Image

Bibliographic Citation

Dr. DuBose, Sr., Dies at Home. (1939, December 25). Columbia Record.

Tucker, G. L. (Ed.). (1897, October 9). St. Luke's Brotherhood: Reports of the Officers. The Sewanee Purple, p. 4.

Milward, H. (Ed.). (1936, October 22). Burial Rites for Dr. Haskell DuBose Held Last Friday. The Sewanee Purple, p. 1.

Files

Dubose-Haskell House002.jpg

Collection

Tags

Citation

“DuBose-Haskell House,” Online Exhibitions and Digital History, accessed October 22, 2019, http://omeka.sewanee.edu/document/285.

Geolocation

Image Viewer

Click below to view an image using the Zoom.it viewer.

Embed

Copy the code below into your web page

 

Item Relations

This item has no relations.