Browse Items (18 total)

Phi Delta Theta Fraternity House013_small.jpg
Arthur Ben Chitty, late historiographer at the University of the South, once called the Phi Delta Theta Fraternity House a "little gem of a building." Modern day owners Mishoe Brennecke and Fred Croom have re-vitalized this Victorian…

Selden House001.jpg
The Selden house was built by Mr. Hayes. It was located on the east side of Alabama Avenue where the Van Ness Music Building is now. (This Building was the U. S. Forestry building. It was built by the U.S. government for _____(?). There needs to be…

Barnwell Cottage002.jpg
This house was on Alabama Avenue, the third house from the corner where McCrady Hall is now. This lease was taken in 1870 by a Mrs. Louisa Rowland. Apparently she didn't live here long. In 1873 Mrs. E. M. Anderson had the lease. Mrs. Anderson was…

Alabama Hall.jpg
Mrs. Elizabeth Polk, a relative of Bishop Polk, built this large house in 1871 as a boarding house for students. It stood to the south of the present McCrady Hall on the west side, of Alabama Avenue.

“Next comes widow Polk, a distant cousin of our…

Gipson House001.jpg
The Allen Gipson House was given by the University of the South to Allen and Manerva Garner Gipson. The house is situated on Alabama Ave., which was originally known as St. Chrysostom Place. Allen Gipson moved from Roarks Cove to Sewanee where he ran…

Miller Hall002.jpg
Miss Mary Miller bought this home in 1887. She was described as having a “strange and lovely Chinese face, romantic birth, and most Victorian outlook” She was born of missionary parents: her father English and her mother Chinese. Orphaned at a young…

Miller Hall001.jpg
Miss Mary Miller bought the home in 1887. She was described as having a “strange and lovely Chinese face, romantic birth, and most Victorian outlook” (Charlotte Gailor, Purple Sewanee, 1932). She was born of missionary parents: her father English and…

Barnwell Cottage.jpg
This house was on Alabama Avenue, the third house from the corner where McCrady Hall is now. This lease was taken in 1870 by a Mrs. Louisa Rowland. Apparently she didn't live here long. In 1873 Mrs. E. M. Anderson had the lease. Mrs. Anderson was…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2