Skip to main content
Online Exhibitions and Digital History

Browse Items (528 total)

  • In 1870, soon after she built Saint’s Rest, Mrs. Stephen Elliott had this cottage built to "accommodate 10 students." When her older daughter, Esther (“Hessie”), married Dr. Francis Shoup a year or so later, it became their home and has been called Shoup Lodge most of the time since. Dr. Shoup, a graduate of West Point, was a Brigadier General of the Confederacy who became a clergyman after the Civil War. He fought alongside Bishop Leonidas Polk and was baptized on the battlefield by Bishop Elliott. He taught mathematics at the University of Mississippi for a while after the war and came to Sewanee as a mathematics instructor and acting chaplain in 1870. He was described by one of his students as "Handsome as Plato, indolent until aroused to mental coruscation; mathematician, engineer, Confederate General and, last, metaphysician." For a time, Dr. Shoup had a parish in Waterford, New York where he inspired an Episcopal family in giving Sewanee’s famous Breslin Tower. However, the Shoups returned to Sewanee and he returned to the University faculty in 1883. After Dr. Shoup died in 1896, Mrs. Shoup was the mistress of Shoup Lodge.

    After the Shoups, the house was rented to various people but has been owned always by Elliott family ancestors. When Bishop Craik Morris of Louisiana retired he lived in the house for some years until his death in 1944. It was inherited from Mr. Robert W.B. Elliott by Mrs. Charles McD. Puckette, wife of a grandson of Bishop Stephen Elliott. The house was passed on to Mrs. Puckette’s daughter Isabelle Howe in 1979. In 2001, it was bought by a different Puckette, Emily, and her husband John Benson.
  • In 1870, soon after she built Saint’s Rest, Mrs. Stephen Elliott had this cottage built to "accommodate 10 students." When her older daughter, Esther (“Hessie”), married Dr. Francis Shoup a year or so later, it became their home and has been called Shoup Lodge most of the time since. Dr. Shoup, a graduate of West Point, was a Brigadier General of the Confederacy who became a clergyman after the Civil War. He fought alongside Bishop Leonidas Polk and was baptized on the battlefield by Bishop Elliott. He taught mathematics at the University of Mississippi for a while after the war and came to Sewanee as a mathematics instructor and acting chaplain in 1870. He was described by one of his students as "Handsome as Plato, indolent until aroused to mental coruscation; mathematician, engineer, Confederate General and, last, metaphysician." For a time, Dr. Shoup had a parish in Waterford, New York where he inspired an Episcopal family in giving Sewanee’s famous Breslin Tower. However, the Shoups returned to Sewanee and he returned to the University faculty in 1883. After Dr. Shoup died in 1896, Mrs. Shoup was the mistress of Shoup Lodge.

    After the Shoups, the house was rented to various people but has been owned always by Elliott family ancestors. When Bishop Craik Morris of Louisiana retired he lived in the house for some years until his death in 1944. It was inherited from Mr. Robert W.B. Elliott by Mrs. Charles McD. Puckette, wife of a grandson of Bishop Stephen Elliott. The house was passed on to Mrs. Puckette’s daughter Isabelle Howe in 1979. In 2001, it was bought by a different Puckette, Emily, and her husband John Benson.
  • In 1887 the Kappa Sigmas built the first phase of this house, which had only two large rooms and a kitchen. The Cheapes purchased the house around 1900. They added a bathroom and a second level accessed by a set of exterior stairs at the rear of the house. They also created a new kitchen area by constructing a wall in the rear room.

    Beginning in 1916 it was used as a Sewanee Military Academy fraternity house for two years. About this time, it was owned by Ina Mae Myers' grandfather, but he never lived in it. Sheriff Jackson bought it in the early 1920s and his widow still resided there when she died more than 50 years later. Jackson made many changes to the house. He had his sons build the sun porch in the front and dig and pick out the stone to make a cellar for the furnace. He also had the fireplace and the front porch stoned. Jackson then made the small porch on the side a “blind” porch. He also had Mr. Castleberry construct an unusual unsupported stairway in the front entranceway and a bay window.

    Phil and Jerry White purchased the house in 1975 from Dr. Harold Jackson, a son of Sheriff Jackson’s. An unusual modification made by Jackson was the installation of what he called a “rectifier” in the ground outside the living room. It was still there in 1975 and White noted, “It held and aged the moonshine he took in raids. He used it, in part, as currency to pay Arthur Terrill and others for odds jobs around the house. The pipe from which he drew the whiskey was still sticking out of the ground when I bought the house, but I did not have gumption enough to see if I could recover some mellow shine.”
  • In 1887 the Kappa Sigmas built the first phase of this house, which had only two large rooms and a kitchen. The Cheapes purchased the house around 1900. They added a bathroom and a second level accessed by a set of exterior stairs at the rear of the house. They also created a new kitchen area by constructing a wall in the rear room.

    Beginning in 1916 it was used as a Sewanee Military Academy fraternity house for two years. About this time, it was owned by Ina Mae Myers' grandfather, but he never lived in it. Sheriff Jackson bought it in the early 1920s and his widow still resided there when she died more than 50 years later. Jackson made many changes to the house. He had his sons build the sun porch in the front and dig and pick out the stone to make a cellar for the furnace. He also had the fireplace and the front porch stoned. Jackson then made the small porch on the side a “blind” porch. He also had Mr. Castleberry construct an unusual unsupported stairway in the front entranceway and a bay window.

    Phil and Jerry White purchased the house in 1975 from Dr. Harold Jackson, a son of Sheriff Jackson’s. An unusual modification made by Jackson was the installation of what he called a “rectifier” in the ground outside the living room. It was still there in 1975 and White noted, “It held and aged the moonshine he took in raids. He used it, in part, as currency to pay Arthur Terrill and others for odds jobs around the house. The pipe from which he drew the whiskey was still sticking out of the ground when I bought the house, but I did not have gumption enough to see if I could recover some mellow shine.”
  • In 1887 the Kappa Sigmas built the first phase of this house, which had only two large rooms and a kitchen. The Cheapes purchased the house around 1900. They added a bathroom and a second level accessed by a set of exterior stairs at the rear of the house. They also created a new kitchen area by constructing a wall in the rear room.

    Beginning in 1916 it was used as a Sewanee Military Academy fraternity house for two years. About this time, it was owned by Ina Mae Myers' grandfather, but he never lived in it. Sheriff Jackson bought it in the early 1920s and his widow still resided there when she died more than 50 years later. Jackson made many changes to the house. He had his sons build the sun porch in the front and dig and pick out the stone to make a cellar for the furnace. He also had the fireplace and the front porch stoned. Jackson then made the small porch on the side a “blind” porch. He also had Mr. Castleberry construct an unusual unsupported stairway in the front entranceway and a bay window.

    Phil and Jerry White purchased the house in 1975 from Dr. Harold Jackson, a son of Sheriff Jackson’s. An unusual modification made by Jackson was the installation of what he called a “rectifier” in the ground outside the living room. It was still there in 1975 and White noted, “It held and aged the moonshine he took in raids. He used it, in part, as currency to pay Arthur Terrill and others for odds jobs around the house. The pipe from which he drew the whiskey was still sticking out of the ground when I bought the house, but I did not have gumption enough to see if I could recover some mellow shine.”
  • The Selden house was built by Mr. Hayes. It was located on the east side of Alabama Avenue where the Van Ness Music Building is now. (This Building was the U. S. Forestry building. It was built by the U.S. government for _____(?). There needs to be a section on this building.) Various families lived in Selden. [See hand-written note. Unclear.] There was a World War II barracks built next to the Van Ness Music Building that was named Selden because the Selden family once lived on the lot. Colonel Arthur Middleton Rutledge lived there for some time from 1875, and his son went to the University. (He had been the marshall of the procession to the Cornerstone in 1860. Not true? According to ENC.) He had been the donor of 410 acres to the University. He was a trustee from the beginning and a resident of Franklin County before the War. For a while the street [now known as Alabama Avenue] was called Rutledge Avenue. The Tablet in the Chapel is in memory of his son, Arthur, Jr., Valedictorian in 1875.Mrs. Fairbanks wrote in a letter the winter of 1874, "The old Major is marrying a Boston widow", and apparently they moved away soon after. (Who?)The Carruthers in 1877, the Richardsons, and the P. S. Brooks lived here at various times. One of Mrs. Brooks' sons was born here. Mrs. John McCradys lived here from 1883-1885. Professor (was he a Doctor?) John McCrady had died in 1881, four years after he and his family moved into Otey Hall and a month after it burned. The students asked Mrs. McCrady to let them call the hall Pocahontas, as the Kirby-Smith house was Powhatan. She agreed and later the head proctor (a West Pointer) found the reason. They were playing poker in their rooms which was against the rules. Punishment soon followed and the name, Pokerhontas died a natural death. (From Miss Kathleen McCrady).Mrs. Selden, a widow with three sons, took the house in 1890 and all three sons went to college here. Jose (called Joe), a doctor, went to Medical School here and was the town doctor for a few years. He and his brother, Jack, were famous athletes. For many years "Mrs. Selden's" was a popular boarding house for summer visitors. She died in(???) and the University took it over making it the residence of the Dean of St. Luke's (School of Theology) for some time. Dean James lived here, also Dean Brown, and for his one year, Dean Gibson lived here. [ENC says check Gibson's tenure. He was elected Bishop Co? (see hand-written note unclear) in VA] It fell down while it was being moved in 1965 and had to be pulled down the rest of the way.
  • This cottage was built in 1871 by Frank Marquet, a local carpenter and leaseholder. A decade later the cottage was bought by Bishop William Mercer Green for his eldest daughter, Sallie Cotten, and he provided improvements required by the 1880 leasehold agreement. Bishop Green was an Episcopal Bishop and fourth Chancellor of the University. His residence was Kendal, directly next door to the cottage.

    Sallie Cotten managed Cotten House as an inn. The inn is also referred to as Old Tuckaway and is where Tuckaway Hall stands now. Mrs. Cotten also served as manager of Otey Parish and has a memorial dedicated to her work. Her husband, John M. Cotten, a Confederate Army veteran, was part owner of a retail store in Sewanee and was postmaster for a time. Mrs. Cotten sold the cottage to Mrs. Jeremy Grant Johnson in 1910, after which it had various residents. Since 2004, it is owned by John and Julia Gatta
  • This cottage was built in 1871 by Frank Marquet, a local carpenter and leaseholder. A decade later the cottage was bought by Bishop William Mercer Green for his eldest daughter, Sallie Cotten, and he provided improvements required by the 1880 leasehold agreement. Bishop Green was an Episcopal Bishop and fourth Chancellor of the University. His residence was Kendal, directly next door to the cottage.

    Sallie Cotten managed Cotten House as an inn. The inn is also referred to as Old Tuckaway and is where Tuckaway Hall stands now. Mrs. Cotten also served as manager of Otey Parish and has a memorial dedicated to her work. Her husband, John M. Cotten, a Confederate Army veteran, was part owner of a retail store in Sewanee and was postmaster for a time. Mrs. Cotten sold the cottage to Mrs. Jeremy Grant Johnson in 1910, after which it had various residents. Since 2004, it is owned by John and Julia Gatta
  • Round table with gilded painting with brass swans on end of legs
  • This Folk Victorian cottage has seen many owners over the years. Pat Riley was the first leaseholder in 1895 and was taken over by Ed Riley in 1935. Maggie Riley, wife of Ed Riley, later took over the lease and subsequently sold to Claude Terrill in 1946. Other owners included Jan Green, Roger and Susan LaVoie and Daniel and Marie Ferguson.
  • This Folk Victorian cottage has seen many owners over the years. Pat Riley was the first leaseholder in 1895 and was taken over by Ed Riley in 1935. Maggie Riley, wife of Ed Riley, later took over the lease and subsequently sold to Claude Terrill in 1946. Other owners included Jan Green, Roger and Susan LaVoie and Daniel and Marie Ferguson.
  • Powhatan House was located where the current Chaplain's house, Phillips House, now stands. The original house was built in 1868 for Mr. Robbins. There is no image of Robbins’ original house, “Waverly.” The next owner, Dr. Dabney, had the house remodeled and changed the name to “Powhatan” to commemorate his origins in Powhatan County, Virginia. It was “a mere shell” in 1876 when Edmund Kirby Smith bought the house and renovated it. His ten children grew up in the house and it was the site of many local stories. It burnt in 1891 and he built a new house (pictured here) on the same site. Kirby-Smith died in 1895 and his daughters, Miss Bessie who was Postmistress, and then Mrs. Hale and Mrs. Crolly, (“Miss Carrie”), ran it as a boarding house. Many summer visitors stayed at Powhatan year after year; for nearly 40 years it was one of the choice places to spend the summer in Sewanee. After Miss Carrie and Mrs. Hale died in 1941 and 1943, respectively, the University acquired Powhatan. It was used for offices and lodgings for theological students while St. Luke's was being renovated. Powhatan House burned in 1956.
  • Powhatan House was located where the current Chaplain's house, Phillips House, now stands. The original house was built in 1868 for Mr. Robbins. There is no image of Robbins’ original house, “Waverly.” The next owner, Dr. Dabney, had the house remodeled and changed the name to “Powhatan” to commemorate his origins in Powhatan County, Virginia. It was “a mere shell” in 1876 when Edmund Kirby Smith bought the house and renovated it. His ten children grew up in the house and it was the site of many local stories. It burnt in 1891 and he built a new house (pictured here) on the same site. Kirby-Smith died in 1895 and his daughters, Miss Bessie who was Postmistress, and then Mrs. Hale and Mrs. Crolly, (“Miss Carrie”), ran it as a boarding house. Many summer visitors stayed at Powhatan year after year; for nearly 40 years it was one of the choice places to spend the summer in Sewanee. After Miss Carrie and Mrs. Hale died in 1941 and 1943, respectively, the University acquired Powhatan. It was used for offices and lodgings for theological students while St. Luke's was being renovated. Powhatan House burned in 1956.
  • Powhatan House was located where the current Chaplain's house, Phillips House, now stands. The original house was built in 1868 for Mr. Robbins. There is no image of Robbins’ original house, “Waverly.” The next owner, Dr. Dabney, had the house remodeled and changed the name to “Powhatan” to commemorate his origins in Powhatan County, Virginia. It was “a mere shell” in 1876 when Edmund Kirby Smith bought the house and renovated it. His ten children grew up in the house and it was the site of many local stories. It burnt in 1891 and he built a new house (pictured here) on the same site. Kirby-Smith died in 1895 and his daughters, Miss Bessie who was Postmistress, and then Mrs. Hale and Mrs. Crolly, (“Miss Carrie”), ran it as a boarding house. Many summer visitors stayed at Powhatan year after year; for nearly 40 years it was one of the choice places to spend the summer in Sewanee. After Miss Carrie and Mrs. Hale died in 1941 and 1943, respectively, the University acquired Powhatan. It was used for offices and lodgings for theological students while St. Luke's was being renovated. Powhatan House burned in 1956.
  • This house was built in 1900, but the first name on the lease, Mrs. Jane Kane, didn’t buy this house until 1902. Maddie Betts bought the house that same year and lived there for seven years. The Handys bought it from her in 1909. Frank Handy was a professor at the University and was known for his translation of Sapphic verse. They lived in the house for over fifty years, until Mrs. Handy’s death in 1965.

    C. Houston and Jessie Beaumont were next to live there. Houston Beaumont was executive vice president of Tennessee Consolidated Coal Company and Jessie was a local artist. She made “Belleek” porcelain and would show her creations at the spring and fall arts and crafts fair in Sewanee. Her specialty was Nativity scenes. Jessie began making Belleek porcelain at the insistence of her late son, known as “Bink,” who studied art at Saint Andrew’s School. Using his molds, she started the hobby and has perfected her craft through trial and error. She built a garage adjacent to this house to have a kiln room. She also has a talent for poetry and her book of poems, “Reflections in Rhyme” has been printed by the University Press. Many of the poems relate to childhood memories, others to seasons, one is on being a grandmother. In the late 1970s the couple moved to Destin, Florida, selling the house to the University. In 1984 Evelyn and William Brown Patterson bought the house. A Rhodes Scholar and professor of history at Davidson, Mr. Patterson became a dean of the University in 1980. Dean Patterson has been honored by the National Endowment for the Humanities fellowship for younger scholars; a first-year graduating fellowship from the American Council of Learned Societies; the visiting fellowship at St. Edmund’s House, University of Cambridge; the Folger Shakespeare Library’s short term fellowship; and a fellowship from the University of Wisconsin’s Institute for research in the Humanities. Evelyn Patterson was also a scholar, educated in classics at Smith College and Harvard University.

    Drewry, D. (1976, February 12). Around the County, Dot's Diary. The Herald-Chronicle.

    Sewanee Office of Public Relations, personal communication, 1980.
  • This house was built in 1900, but the first name on the lease, Mrs. Jane Kane, didn’t buy this house until 1902. Maddie Betts bought the house that same year and lived there for seven years. The Handys bought it from her in 1909. Frank Handy was a professor at the University and was known for his translation of Sapphic verse. They lived in the house for over fifty years, until Mrs. Handy’s death in 1965.

    C. Houston and Jessie Beaumont were next to live there. Houston Beaumont was executive vice president of Tennessee Consolidated Coal Company and Jessie was a local artist. She made “Belleek” porcelain and would show her creations at the spring and fall arts and crafts fair in Sewanee. Her specialty was Nativity scenes. Jessie began making Belleek porcelain at the insistence of her late son, known as “Bink,” who studied art at Saint Andrew’s School. Using his molds, she started the hobby and has perfected her craft through trial and error. She built a garage adjacent to this house to have a kiln room. She also has a talent for poetry and her book of poems, “Reflections in Rhyme” has been printed by the University Press. Many of the poems relate to childhood memories, others to seasons, one is on being a grandmother. In the late 1970s the couple moved to Destin, Florida, selling the house to the University. In 1984 Evelyn and William Brown Patterson bought the house. A Rhodes Scholar and professor of history at Davidson, Mr. Patterson became a dean of the University in 1980. Dean Patterson has been honored by the National Endowment for the Humanities fellowship for younger scholars; a first-year graduating fellowship from the American Council of Learned Societies; the visiting fellowship at St. Edmund’s House, University of Cambridge; the Folger Shakespeare Library’s short term fellowship; and a fellowship from the University of Wisconsin’s Institute for research in the Humanities. Evelyn Patterson was also a scholar, educated in classics at Smith College and Harvard University.

  • This large frame house was one of the early licensed boarding houses for students. Boarding houses like this precluded the need for University dormitories initially. The house was built by Dr. DuBose for his sister-in-law Mrs. McNeely (Mattice) DuBose and named “Palmetto” to commemorate South Carolina. It housed 30 students which was a significant amount as Otey, the next largest boarding house, held only 26. In 1874, a student wrote of Palmetto, "We have splendid fare, turkey twice a week and dessert three times."

    Mrs. Sessums, mother of Bishop Sessums, and her sister, Mrs. Tucker, acquired Palmetto in 1880. For many years Mrs. Tucker ran it as a combined boarding house for summer visitors and dormitory for students. When Mrs. Tucker died in 1909, Palmetto was obtained by the University. It then had a wild life. Reportedly, the matron had very little control and students used to shoot through the ceiling, playing a game called “Corners.” Freshmen were expected to dash towards the walls of the second floor while upperclassmen would shoot the center of the ceiling. However, Arthur Ben Chitty noted this was probably an exaggeration as other sources only go as far as saying a student would shoot the ceiling to wake up the house. It was likely this happened only once or twice.

    Palmetto was razed in 1931. When it was being demolished, a championship ball marked "C.B. Ames, 1884" won by the Hardee Second Nine (baseball team) was found in the wall.
  • This large frame house was one of the early licensed boarding houses for students. Boarding houses like this precluded the need for University dormitories initially. The house was built by Dr. DuBose for his sister-in-law Mrs. McNeely (Mattice) DuBose and named “Palmetto” to commemorate South Carolina. It housed 30 students which was a significant amount as Otey, the next largest boarding house, held only 26. In 1874, a student wrote of Palmetto, "We have splendid fare, turkey twice a week and dessert three times."

    Mrs. Sessums, mother of Bishop Sessums, and her sister, Mrs. Tucker, acquired Palmetto in 1880. For many years Mrs. Tucker ran it as a combined boarding house for summer visitors and dormitory for students. When Mrs. Tucker died in 1909, Palmetto was obtained by the University. It then had a wild life. Reportedly, the matron had very little control and students used to shoot through the ceiling, playing a game called “Corners.” Freshmen were expected to dash towards the walls of the second floor while upperclassmen would shoot the center of the ceiling. However, Arthur Ben Chitty noted this was probably an exaggeration as other sources only go as far as saying a student would shoot the ceiling to wake up the house. It was likely this happened only once or twice.

    Palmetto was razed in 1931. When it was being demolished, a championship ball marked "C.B. Ames, 1884" won by the Hardee Second Nine (baseball team) was found in the wall.
  • This house was built in October 1874, by Mrs. T.K. Sharkey of Mississippi. The University Record of October 1874 noted, “The cottages of Dr. Bickham, of New Orleans, and Mrs. Sharkey, of Mississippi, ...will add very much to the beauty of the street leading from the village.” After living in the house for a brief time Mrs. Sharkey sold it in May 1875 to Mrs. Joseph Q. Lovell, sister of Antonia Quitman Lovell (whose Sewanee home was Sunnyside). Mrs. Joseph Lovell, a widow with two daughters, lived in Natchez and used this house as a summer home. When she died, the house was taken by the Cocke family. The Cockes had three sons in the University including son Charles who gave the Latin Salutatory in 1892.

    Following the Cocke family, the house had several different residents. In 1907, Mr. Hardy the druggist lived there. Then, Miss Lizzie Wadhams lived in the house for a while. Preston Brooks Jr. bought the house in 1921 and the Brooks family lived there for nearly fifty years. In 1970, his widow sold it to Mrs. Kathryn Raulston, who later sold it to Dr. Kenneth Wilson Jones. The only major change to the exterior of this house has been the removal of a narrow porch from each side of the larger, center porch.
  • This house was built in October 1874, by Mrs. T.K. Sharkey of Mississippi. The University Record of October 1874 noted, “The cottages of Dr. Bickham, of New Orleans, and Mrs. Sharkey, of Mississippi, ...will add very much to the beauty of the street leading from the village.” After living in the house for a brief time Mrs. Sharkey sold it in May 1875 to Mrs. Joseph Q. Lovell, sister of Antonia Quitman Lovell (whose Sewanee home was Sunnyside). Mrs. Joseph Lovell, a widow with two daughters, lived in Natchez and used this house as a summer home. When she died, the house was taken by the Cocke family. The Cockes had three sons in the University including son Charles who gave the Latin Salutatory in 1892.

    Following the Cocke family, the house had several different residents. In 1907, Mr. Hardy the druggist lived there. Then, Miss Lizzie Wadhams lived in the house for a while. Preston Brooks, Jr. bought the house in 1921 and the Brooks family lived there for nearly fifty years. In 1970, his widow sold it to Mrs. Kathryn Raulston, who later sold it to Dr. Kenneth Wilson Jones. The only major change to the exterior of this house has been the removal of a narrow porch from each side of the larger, center porch.
  • This house was built in October 1874, by Mrs. T.K. Sharkey of Mississippi. The University Record of October 1874 noted, “The cottages of Dr. Bickham, of New Orleans, and Mrs. Sharkey, of Mississippi, ...will add very much to the beauty of the street leading from the village.” After living in the house for a brief time Mrs. Sharkey sold it in May 1875 to Mrs. Joseph Q. Lovell, sister of Antonia Quitman Lovell (whose Sewanee home was Sunnyside). Mrs. Joseph Lovell, a widow with two daughters, lived in Natchez and used this house as a summer home. When she died, the house was taken by the Cocke family. The Cockes had three sons in the University including son Charles who gave the Latin Salutatory in 1892.

    Following the Cocke family, the house had several different residents. In 1907, Mr. Hardy the druggist lived there. Then, Miss Lizzie Wadhams lived in the house for a while. Preston Brooks Jr. bought the house in 1921 and the Brooks family lived there for nearly fifty years. In 1970, his widow sold it to Mrs. Kathryn Raulston, who later sold it to Dr. Kenneth Wilson Jones. The only major change to the exterior of this house has been the removal of a narrow porch from each side of the larger, center porch.
  • Dr. C.J. Bickham, a well-known physician of New Orleans, built this house in 1874. Although he intended it to be a summer home, it sat empty for many years. Caskie Harrison, professor of ancient languages, took the house in 1877 and lived there until he left the University in 1882. Originally from Virginia, he was studying in Cambridge when Bishop Quintard persuaded him to come to Sewanee. Harrison’s son, the novelist Henry Sydnor Harrison, author of Queed, was born in this house and another son, Jack, taught at the Sewanee Military Academy for several years. Harrison was reported to be a “severe but brilliant teacher” and when he left Sewanee he founded the Brooklyn Classical School in New York. In 1889 he received the Honorary Degree of Ph.D. from the University. After Harrison’s departure, various people lived in the house including Mrs. Memminger, a widow from Charleston, whose three sons, Wilkie, Lucien, and Edmund, went to the University from 1893-1898.

    In 1894 William Boone Nauts, who graduated from the University in 1882 and was professor of Latin from 1893-1931, bought the house and lived in it until his death in 1931. Both of his sons also went to the University. Nauts, an ardent collector of materials printed in Sewanee, sent his collection to be on exhibit at the Chicago World's Fair in 1893. Unfortunately it was all lost in transit. However, he was able to later compile another collection, with only a few exceptions. After his death Mrs. Nauts gave the materials to the University Archives. Nauts was a part of Sewanee life for so many years that someone once joked, “In the flood, Noah just missed landing on the Mountain with Nauts and MacKellar.” During the 1930s, the house was rented to various people. When the old "rectory" burned in 1939, Misses May and Susie DuBose bought the house. After Miss May’s death, the University bought it and in 1964 it was sold to Harry Stanford Barrett, artist-in-residence.

    The house has been owned by Doug and Anne Seiters since 1999.
  • Dr. C.J. Bickham, a well-known physician of New Orleans, built this house in 1874. Although he intended it to be a summer home, it sat empty for many years. Caskie Harrison, professor of ancient languages, took the house in 1877 and lived there until he left the University in 1882. Originally from Virginia, he was studying in Cambridge when Bishop Quintard persuaded him to come to Sewanee. Harrison’s son, the novelist Henry Sydnor Harrison, author of Queed, was born in this house and another son, Jack, taught at the Sewanee Military Academy for several years. Harrison was reported to be a “severe but brilliant teacher” and when he left Sewanee he founded the Brooklyn Classical School in New York. In 1889 he received the Honorary Degree of Ph.D. from the University. After Harrison’s departure, various people lived in the house including Mrs. Memminger, a widow from Charleston, whose three sons, Wilkie, Lucien, and Edmund, went to the University from 1893-1898.

    In 1894 William Boone Nauts, who graduated from the University in 1882 and was professor of Latin from 1893-1931, bought the house and lived in it until his death in 1931. Both of his sons also went to the University. Nauts, an ardent collector of materials printed in Sewanee, sent his collection to be on exhibit at the Chicago World's Fair in 1893. Unfortunately it was all lost in transit. However, he was able to later compile another collection, with only a few exceptions. After his death Mrs. Nauts gave the materials to the University Archives. Nauts was a part of Sewanee life for so many years that someone once joked, “In the flood, Noah just missed landing on the Mountain with Nauts and MacKellar.” During the 1930s, the house was rented to various people. When the old "rectory" burned in 1939, Misses May and Susie DuBose bought the house. After Miss May’s death, the University bought it and in 1964 it was sold to Harry Stanford Barrett, artist-in-residence.

    The house has been owned by Doug and Anne Seiters since 1999.
  • Dr. C.J. Bickham, a well-known physician of New Orleans, built this house in 1874. Although he intended it to be a summer home, it sat empty for many years. Caskie Harrison, professor of ancient languages, took the house in 1877 and lived there until he left the University in 1882. Originally from Virginia, he was studying in Cambridge when Bishop Quintard persuaded him to come to Sewanee. Harrison’s son, the novelist Henry Sydnor Harrison, author of Queed, was born in this house and another son, Jack, taught at the Sewanee Military Academy for several years. Harrison was reported to be a “severe but brilliant teacher” and when he left Sewanee he founded the Brooklyn Classical School in New York. In 1889 he received the Honorary Degree of Ph.D. from the University. After Harrison’s departure, various people lived in the house including Mrs. Memminger, a widow from Charleston, whose three sons, Wilkie, Lucien, and Edmund, went to the University from 1893-1898.

    In 1894 William Boone Nauts, who graduated from the University in 1882 and was professor of Latin from 1893-1931, bought the house and lived in it until his death in 1931. Both of his sons also went to the University. Nauts, an ardent collector of materials printed in Sewanee, sent his collection to be on exhibit at the Chicago World's Fair in 1893. Unfortunately it was all lost in transit. However, he was able to later compile another collection, with only a few exceptions. After his death Mrs. Nauts gave the materials to the University Archives. Nauts was a part of Sewanee life for so many years that someone once joked, “In the flood, Noah just missed landing on the Mountain with Nauts and MacKellar.” During the 1930s, the house was rented to various people. When the old "rectory" burned in 1939, Misses May and Susie DuBose bought the house. After Miss May’s death, the University bought it and in 1964 it was sold to Harry Stanford Barrett, artist-in-residence.

    The house has been owned by Doug and Anne Seiters since 1999.
  • This cottage was the location of the first drug store in Sewanee. H. N. Caldwell built it in 1872 and ran a combined “Book Store and Pharmacy” for the University, reported The Sewanee Record in 1872. In 1875 Col. Lovell bought both Mr. Caldwell’s house and this cottage. Lovell used the house as his summer home and gave the cottage to his brother-in-law, Dr. E. W. Johns ,who succeeded Caldwell as the town druggist. He continued to operate the drug store in the cottage, renaming it “E. W. Johns and Company, Druggists and Stationers.” He also “refitted the cottage and added several buildings” (University Record, 1875). Johns’ newspaper advertisement read: “Books, stationary, drugs, medicines, perfumery, coal oil, putty, glass, and all other articles demanded by the Sewanee Trade…”

    In the early 1900s the house was home to Miss Harvey's School and in 1922 the Rev. Charles Wright purchased it to use as a summer home. Wright was a graduate of both the college and the seminary. A close friend of Bishop Quintard’s family, he maintained his Sewanee connections as a member of the Board of Regents for 20 years. Wright died in 1932. Mrs. Thaddeus Miller bought the house in 1938. In 1940 she was employed by the University as a dietitian at Emerald-Hodgson Hospital. She also worked simultaneously at Magnolia Hall as their dietitian for periods at a time. A student hospitalized for any period of time usually ended up with his favorite dish before he was released. Mrs. Miller died in 1967 and the house was acquired by the University. It is now the Leaseholder’s Office.
  • This cottage was the location of the first drug store in Sewanee. H. N. Caldwell built it in 1872 and ran a combined “Book Store and Pharmacy” for the University, reported The Sewanee Record in 1872. In 1875 Col. Lovell bought both Mr. Caldwell’s house and this cottage. Lovell used the house as his summer home and gave the cottage to his brother-in-law, Dr. E. W. Johns ,who succeeded Caldwell as the town druggist. He continued to operate the drug store in the cottage, renaming it “E. W. Johns and Company, Druggists and Stationers.” He also “refitted the cottage and added several buildings” (University Record, 1875). Johns’ newspaper advertisement read: “Books, stationary, drugs, medicines, perfumery, coal oil, putty, glass, and all other articles demanded by the Sewanee Trade…”

    In the early 1900s the house was home to Miss Harvey's School and in 1922 the Rev. Charles Wright purchased it to use as a summer home. Wright was a graduate of both the college and the seminary. A close friend of Bishop Quintard’s family, he maintained his Sewanee connections as a member of the Board of Regents for 20 years. Wright died in 1932. Mrs. Thaddeus Miller bought the house in 1938. In 1940 she was employed by the University as a dietitian at Emerald-Hodgson Hospital. She also worked simultaneously at Magnolia Hall as their dietitian for periods at a time. A student hospitalized for any period of time usually ended up with his favorite dish before he was released. Mrs. Miller died in 1967 and the house was acquired by the University. It is now the Leaseholder’s Office.
  • This cottage was the location of the first drug store in Sewanee. H. N. Caldwell built it in 1872 and ran a combined “Book Store and Pharmacy” for the University, reported The Sewanee Record in 1872. In 1875 Col. Lovell bought both Mr. Caldwell’s house and this cottage. Lovell used the house as his summer home and gave the cottage to his brother-in-law, Dr. E. W. Johns ,who succeeded Caldwell as the town druggist. He continued to operate the drug store in the cottage, renaming it “E. W. Johns and Company, Druggists and Stationers.” He also “refitted the cottage and added several buildings” (University Record, 1875). Johns’ newspaper advertisement read: “Books, stationary, drugs, medicines, perfumery, coal oil, putty, glass, and all other articles demanded by the Sewanee Trade…”

    In the early 1900s the house was home to Miss Harvey's School and in 1922 the Rev. Charles Wright purchased it to use as a summer home. Wright was a graduate of both the college and the seminary. A close friend of Bishop Quintard’s family, he maintained his Sewanee connections as a member of the Board of Regents for 20 years. Wright died in 1932. Mrs. Thaddeus Miller bought the house in 1938. In 1940 she was employed by the University as a dietitian at Emerald-Hodgson Hospital. She also worked simultaneously at Magnolia Hall as their dietitian for periods at a time. A student hospitalized for any period of time usually ended up with his favorite dish before he was released. Mrs. Miller died in 1967 and the house was acquired by the University. It is now the Leaseholder’s Office.
  • Miss Mary Miller bought this home in 1887. She was described as having a “strange and lovely Chinese face, romantic birth, and most Victorian outlook” She was born of missionary parents: her father English and her mother Chinese. Orphaned at a young age, she was sent to an uncle in the United States. She later fell in love with a clergyman and they were to be married. However, her uncle said that her parents had not been married, making her illegitimate and unable to marry a clergyman. Unfortunately, it was found out after her uncle died that Miller’s parents had indeed been married and her uncle lied to keep control of her financial affairs. Miss Miller presided over “Crazy Corner” (then the name of Miller Hall) as matron of the boarding house for many years. She left all her property to the University in 1911 and the gates in the cemetery were put up in her name.

    The next occupants, Mrs. Stewart from New Orleans and her daughters, Minnie and Clara, remodeled the house into two apartments. In 1922, the Rev. Charles Wright bought it for a summer home. Wright, brought from England by Bishop Quintard as a young child, was considered a member of the Bishop’s family. He went to the University and St. Luke’s, and was member of the Board of Regents for 20 years. He was rector of Grace Church, Memphis. He died in 1932.

    The house has been torn down.
  • Miss Mary Miller bought the home in 1887. She was described as having a “strange and lovely Chinese face, romantic birth, and most Victorian outlook” (Charlotte Gailor, Purple Sewanee, 1932). She was born of missionary parents: her father English and her mother Chinese. Orphaned at a young age, she was sent to an uncle in the United States. She later fell in love with a clergyman and they were to be married. However, her uncle said that her parents had not been married, making her illegitimate and unable to marry a clergyman. Unfortunately, it was found out after her uncle died that Miller’s parents had indeed been married and her uncle lied to keep control of her financial affairs. Miss Miller presided over “Crazy Corner” (then the name of Miller Hall) as matron of the boarding house for many years. She left all her property to the University in 1911 and the gates in the cemetery were put up in her name.

    The next occupants, Mrs. Stewart from New Orleans and her daughters, Minnie and Clara, remodeled the house into two apartments. In 1922, the Rev. Charles Wright bought it for a summer home. Wright, brought from England by Bishop Quintard as a young child, was considered a member of the Bishop’s family. He went to the University and St. Luke’s, and was member of the Board of Regents for 20 years. He was rector of Grace Church, Memphis. He died in 1932.

    The house has been torn down.
  • This house was built by Mrs. Sarah McCrady, the widow of Dr. John mcCrady who died in 1881.

    She had lived in The Selden house from 1881 to 1885 after the fire in Otey Hall.  She was the grandmother of Dr. Edward McCrady, the vice-chancellor.

    It was a large frame house on the site of the present McCrady Hall.  She took summer boarders like all the other ladies and had various members of her family as visitors.  She lived here until her death in 1932, and her daughter, Kathleen, lived here until her death in 1960.

    It was pulled down before the present McCrady Hall was built in 1965.
  • This house was built in 1873 by Mr. Jabez Wheeler Hayes. He was a successful jewelry manufacturer and Sewanee’s first large scale benefactor after the Civil War. His gifts were mainly civic improvements in the community; contributing $100,000 of his fortune into the early development of the village and founding Sewanee’s first public school. Hayes built this large residence for his son-in-law George A. Mayhew. Mayhew had a store in the village and came with his family from the north with Hayes. This house was on the road connecting the Sewanee Military Academy to the village, now known as Kentucky Avenue. The University Record of August 1874, notes “…the completion of the fine mansion of George A. Mayhew, Esq. The external appearance of the house is handsome and commanding, while the internal arrangements present very great beauty and convenience. The panel work of black walnut and chestnut shows the fine effect which can be produced by the judicious use of our native woods, and that chestnut can be put to a more ornamental use than fence posts and house blocks.” Mayhew died in 1882 and his sister, Miss Mayhew, raised his two daughters. After Miss Mayhew’s death the house stood empty for many years, although it was still owned by the Mayhew family. It was broken into and people helped themselves to the furnishings.

    In the early 1910s, Archdeacon and former Rector of Otey Parish, William Stirling Claiborne, bought the house and gave it to the University. He intended it as a home for Col. Duval Cravens, superintendent of Sewanee Military Academy. Cravens and his family lived there for several years after they came to Sewanee in 1912. By 1932 it was converted into two apartments for Sewanee Military Academy faculty. The house was razed in 1967.
  • This house was built in 1873 by Mr. Jabez Wheeler Hayes. He was a successful jewelry manufacturer and Sewanee’s first large scale benefactor after the Civil War. His gifts were mainly civic improvements in the community; contributing $100,000 of his fortune into the early development of the village and founding Sewanee’s first public school. Hayes built this large residence for his son-in-law George A. Mayhew. Mayhew had a store in the village and came with his family from the north with Hayes. This house was on the road connecting the Sewanee Military Academy to the village, now known as Kentucky Avenue. The University Record of August 1874, notes “…the completion of the fine mansion of George A. Mayhew, Esq. The external appearance of the house is handsome and commanding, while the internal arrangements present very great beauty and convenience. The panel work of black walnut and chestnut shows the fine effect which can be produced by the judicious use of our native woods, and that chestnut can be put to a more ornamental use than fence posts and house blocks.” Mayhew died in 1882 and his sister, Miss Mayhew, raised his two daughters. After Miss Mayhew’s death the house stood empty for many years, although it was still owned by the Mayhew family. It was broken into and people helped themselves to the furnishings.

    In the early 1910s, Archdeacon and former Rector of Otey Parish, William Stirling Claiborne, bought the house and gave it to the University. He intended it as a home for Col. Duval Cravens, superintendent of Sewanee Military Academy. Cravens and his family lived there for several years after they came to Sewanee in 1912. By 1932 it was converted into two apartments for Sewanee Military Academy faculty. The house was razed in 1967.
  • Miss Maria Louisa “Ria” Porcher built this house in 1872. She came from Charleston, South Carolina, following her cousin Reverend William Porcher Dubose. With her she brought the three children of her deceased sister and son in law. By the time Magnolia Hall was built she had eleven motherless and Civil War-orphaned relatives in her care. She educated them and put them through college. Magnolia was so large that Miss Ria was able to house both her family and students. Mr. Robert DuBose, the doctor's brother, and his family lived with her and took over the house when she died about 1890. "No one will ever know how many boys were taken in Magnolia for half pay, or not at all, and given their chance for an education. In addition to the boys, there was a large family connection to be considered at Magnolia, and many sorrows, joys, and needs were sheltered in this home. Probably no house in Sewanee has known so many births, marriages, and deaths. How many tales its old rooms could tell of the love making and heart-break with which they are haunted." (Purple Sewanee, page 101). The fourth school for children in Sewanee, taught by Miss Louise Finley who was later the Librarian of the University, flourished here in the basement for many years. Some of her pupils were John and Henry Gass, John Puckette, Frank Hoyt Gailor, Mary, Martha and Tom Hunt.

    After Mrs. DuBose's death in 1918, the University converted Magnolia into the University Dining Hall. Additions were made to the kitchen and they built a wing on the west side. Mrs. Eggleston presided over the dining hall from 1922 until her death in January 1936. "Mrs. E" was a favorite among the students and was known to handle every weather hindrance, arrival of trustees, and request of special meals with grace. Praise for her food was long, loud, and frequent. When the Navy V-12 program came to Sewanee in 1941, the University added to the building again. It continued to be the University Dining Hall until Gailor was built in 1952. Magnolia was then used for language faculty offices, a costume storeroom for the Purple Masque, and offices for student activities until it burned in 1956.
  • 'Purple Torch' Levels Magnolia, Auditorium 'Arsonist In Our Midst, ' McCrady Tells Chapel



    Magnolia Hall and Swayback Auditorium burned to the ground in two spectacular and simultaneous fires early Tuesday morning, May 17. Detected shortly before 2:00 a.m., the fires quickly drew hundreds of spectatois who shifted restlessly between blazes. It seems very apparent that we have arsonist in our midst, someone with really diseased mind," University e-Cbancellor Edward McCrady staat Tuesday's noon chapel service. McCrady was giving the general npus opinion. Magnolia's fire March 15, the blazes' simultaneous nature, the fact that the under-construction Guery building is to take over the funcions of each, and the thoroughness of ioth fires were factors contributing to the opinion. Officials are conducting interviews this week to determine the fires' origins. W. L. Goostree, chief inspector for the slate fire marshall, Gray Ragsdale, Jr, deputy state fire marshall, and Morris Best of the National Board of Fire Underwriters are heading the investigation. No suspects had been named Wednesday ;iflemoon. Speaking of the supposed arsonist, Dr. McCrady warned the University that, "There is no telling what conse- quences can result from this, if we don't find him." Rick Thames and Tony Veal, Gailor residents sensed smoke at 1:45, r.nd on finding the source to be Magnolia, spread word to Gailor. A group of Gailor students turned in the alarm 1:50. The fire truck was moved to e site immediately. As firefighters and students gathered, thick clouds of choking smoke billowed from the building. One fireman investigated the interior and prophetilly announced, "Well never get it this time." Five minutes after the alarm, flames emed to shoot from all parts of the old dining hall, which quickly became a roaring pyre. Salvage of books and band instruments was impossible, except for one bass clarinet and one At 2:00, student fire chief Fred McNeil received word of the Swayback fire. Upon immediate investigation he found the auditorium's blaze completely out of control. "We stayed on Mag because of the exposure problem," explained McNeil. In the early stages of the fire, ViceChancellor McCrady organized guards to prevent break-ins and looting such as occurred during the earlier Mag- Cowan fire chief C. M. Abbott, with (en men, answered a request for aid, adding his equipment and forces to the local departments'.



  • Miss Maria Louisa “Ria” Porcher built this house in 1872. She came from Charleston, South Carolina, following her cousin, William Porcher Dubose. With her she brought the three children of her deceased sister and son-in-law. By the time Magnolia Hall was built she had 11 motherless and Civil War-orphaned relatives in her care. She educated them and put them through college. Magnolia was so large that Miss Ria was able to house both her family and students. Mr. Robert DuBose, the doctor's brother, and his family lived with her and took over the house when she died about 1890. "No one will ever know how many boys were taken in Magnolia for half pay, or not at all, and given their chance for an education. In addition to the boys, there was a large family connection to be considered at Magnolia, and many sorrows, joys, and needs were sheltered in this home. Probably no house in Sewanee has known so many births, marriages, and deaths. How many tales its old rooms could tell of the love making and heart-break with which they are haunted." (Purple Sewanee, page 101). The fourth school for children in Sewanee, taught by Miss Louise Finley who was later the librarian of the University, flourished here in the basement for many years. Some of her pupils were: John and Henry Gass, John Puckette, Frank Hoyt Gailor, and Mary, Martha and Tom Hunt.

    After Mrs. DuBose's death in 1918, the University converted Magnolia into the University Dining Hall. Additions were made to the kitchen and they built a wing on the west side. Mrs. Eggleston presided over the dining hall from 1922 until her death in January 1936. "Mrs. E," was a favorite among the students and was known to handle every weather hindrance, arrival of trustees, and request of special meals with grace. Praise for her food was long, loud, and frequent. When the Navy V-12 program came to Sewanee in 1941, the University added to the building again. It continued to be the University Dining Hall until Gailor was built in 1952. Magnolia was then used for language faculty offices, a costume storeroom for the Purple Masque, and offices for student activities until it burned in 1956.
  • Miss Maria Louisa “Ria” Porcher built this house in 1872. She came from Charleston, South Carolina, following her cousin, William Porcher Dubose. With her she brought the three children of her deceased sister and son-in-law. By the time Magnolia Hall was built she had 11 motherless and Civil War-orphaned relatives in her care. She educated them and put them through college. Magnolia was so large that Miss Ria was able to house both her family and students. Mr. Robert DuBose, the doctor's brother, and his family lived with her and took over the house when she died about 1890. "No one will ever know how many boys were taken in Magnolia for half pay, or not at all, and given their chance for an education. In addition to the boys, there was a large family connection to be considered at Magnolia, and many sorrows, joys, and needs were sheltered in this home. Probably no house in Sewanee has known so many births, marriages, and deaths. How many tales its old rooms could tell of the love making and heart-break with which they are haunted." (Purple Sewanee, page 101). The fourth school for children in Sewanee, taught by Miss Louise Finley who was later the librarian of the University, flourished here in the basement for many years. Some of her pupils were: John and Henry Gass, John Puckette, Frank Hoyt Gailor, and Mary, Martha and Tom Hunt.

    After Mrs. DuBose's death in 1918, the University converted Magnolia into the University Dining Hall. Additions were made to the kitchen and they built a wing on the west side. Mrs. Eggleston presided over the dining hall from 1922 until her death in January 1936. "Mrs. E," was a favorite among the students and was known to handle every weather hindrance, arrival of trustees, and request of special meals with grace. Praise for her food was long, loud, and frequent. When the Navy V-12 program came to Sewanee in 1941, the University added to the building again. It continued to be the University Dining Hall until Gailor was built in 1952. Magnolia was then used for language faculty offices, a costume storeroom for the Purple Masque, and offices for student activities until it burned in 1956.
  • Miss Maria Louisa “Ria” Porcher built this house in 1872. She came from Charleston, South Carolina, following her cousin, William Porcher Dubose. With her she brought the three children of her deceased sister and son-in-law. By the time Magnolia Hall was built she had 11 motherless and Civil War-orphaned relatives in her care. She educated them and put them through college. Magnolia was so large that Miss Ria was able to house both her family and students. Mr. Robert DuBose, the doctor's brother, and his family lived with her and took over the house when she died about 1890. "No one will ever know how many boys were taken in Magnolia for half pay, or not at all, and given their chance for an education. In addition to the boys, there was a large family connection to be considered at Magnolia, and many sorrows, joys, and needs were sheltered in this home. Probably no house in Sewanee has known so many births, marriages, and deaths. How many tales its old rooms could tell of the love making and heart-break with which they are haunted." (Purple Sewanee, page 101). The fourth school for children in Sewanee, taught by Miss Louise Finley who was later the librarian of the University, flourished here in the basement for many years. Some of her pupils were: John and Henry Gass, John Puckette, Frank Hoyt Gailor, and Mary, Martha and Tom Hunt.

    After Mrs. DuBose's death in 1918, the University converted Magnolia into the University Dining Hall. Additions were made to the kitchen and they built a wing on the west side. Mrs. Eggleston presided over the dining hall from 1922 until her death in January 1936. "Mrs. E," was a favorite among the students and was known to handle every weather hindrance, arrival of trustees, and request of special meals with grace. Praise for her food was long, loud, and frequent. When the Navy V-12 program came to Sewanee in 1941, the University added to the building again. It continued to be the University Dining Hall until Gailor was built in 1952. Magnolia was then used for language faculty offices, a costume storeroom for the Purple Masque, and offices for student activities until it burned in 1956.
  • Miss Maria Louisa “Ria” Porcher built this house in 1872. She came from Charleston, South Carolina, following her cousin, William Porcher Dubose. With her she brought the three children of her deceased sister and son-in-law. By the time Magnolia Hall was built she had 11 motherless and Civil War-orphaned relatives in her care. She educated them and put them through college. Magnolia was so large that Miss Ria was able to house both her family and students. Mr. Robert DuBose, the doctor's brother, and his family lived with her and took over the house when she died about 1890. "No one will ever know how many boys were taken in Magnolia for half pay, or not at all, and given their chance for an education. In addition to the boys, there was a large family connection to be considered at Magnolia, and many sorrows, joys, and needs were sheltered in this home. Probably no house in Sewanee has known so many births, marriages, and deaths. How many tales its old rooms could tell of the love making and heart-break with which they are haunted." (Purple Sewanee, page 101). The fourth school for children in Sewanee, taught by Miss Louise Finley who was later the librarian of the University, flourished here in the basement for many years. Some of her pupils were: John and Henry Gass, John Puckette, Frank Hoyt Gailor, and Mary, Martha and Tom Hunt.

    After Mrs. DuBose's death in 1918, the University converted Magnolia into the University Dining Hall. Additions were made to the kitchen and they built a wing on the west side. Mrs. Eggleston presided over the dining hall from 1922 until her death in January 1936. "Mrs. E," was a favorite among the students and was known to handle every weather hindrance, arrival of trustees, and request of special meals with grace. Praise for her food was long, loud, and frequent. When the Navy V-12 program came to Sewanee in 1941, the University added to the building again. It continued to be the University Dining Hall until Gailor was built in 1952. Magnolia was then used for language faculty offices, a costume storeroom for the Purple Masque, and offices for student activities until it burned in 1956.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2