Browse Items (5 total)
Sort by:
-
Wick's Hall
This house stood opposite Palmetto on the hill and was a large frame house, one of many built originally by Mr. Hayes. It was east of the present Gailor Hall and situated facing west. Dr. C. L. C. Minor, who was master of Grammar School and professor of Latin, was the first resident, however he left in 1873 to become president of Virginia Agricultural College. In 1876 Col. A. S. Jones acquired the house and lived there for about ten years. He held various offices in the University including Treasurer.
In 1886 Mrs. M.C. Wicks obtained the lease and for many years ran a boarding house for students and summer visitors. She had two sons and two daughters. One daughter, Miss Celeste, continued to live in the house, even during its time as the Mary Dabney School. Miss Celeste moved to small cottage nearby a few years before her death in 1947. Wick’s Hall was razed in 1945.
-
Keppler House
This house was built by Mr. Hayes for Mrs. M.R. DeSaussure. She came to Sewanee to educate her four sons. There were four DeSaussures in the Grammar School in 1873 but only one of them went on to the University. In 1874 Dr. George T. Wilmer came to teach and owned the house until he left in 1887. He taught metaphysics, political science, history, and commercial law and banking. In 1877, the lease was taken by M.J. Carruthers and after that again by Mr. Hayes.
In 1888, Dr. Cameron Piggott bought the house and lived there for more than 20 years. During his ownership the house became the first building on the plateau to have running water. Piggott, a graduate of Johns Hopkins, taught chemistry, geology, and mineralogy at the University. However, he was best remembered as a dedicated doctor. He delivered all the babies, came to houses on call, and sat up and stayed with the dying. For many years he served as the health officer. Piggott was also famous for being the only person who had fallen 60 feet off Clara's Point and lived to tell the tale. He died in 1911. In 1926, Cotesworth Pickney bought the house for his brother-in-law, Bishop Craik Morris, to use when he retired. However, Mrs. Morris did not want to live here so they sold it to John Luke in 1929. Luke, a major in World War I, was ordained a clergyman in 1924. He used the house as a summer home and kept it until his death in 1951. Mrs. Luke stayed in it for some years after his death. She sold part of the lot with a small chapel to John Hodges. Dr. and Mrs. Keppler bought the house in September 1956, and lived there until around 2010. The house is currently owned by Martin and Marion Knoll.
-
Keppler House
This house was built by Mr. Hayes for Mrs. M.R. DeSaussure. She came to Sewanee to educate her four sons. There were four DeSaussures in the Grammar School in 1873 but only one of them went on to the University. In 1874 Dr. George T. Wilmer came to teach and owned the house until he left in 1887. He taught metaphysics, political science, history, and commercial law and banking. In 1877, the lease was taken by M.J. Carruthers and after that again by Mr. Hayes.
In 1888, Dr. Cameron Piggott bought the house and lived there for more than 20 years. During his ownership the house became the first building on the plateau to have running water. Piggott, a graduate of Johns Hopkins, taught chemistry, geology, and mineralogy at the University. However, he was best remembered as a dedicated doctor. He delivered all the babies, came to houses on call, and sat up and stayed with the dying. For many years he served as the health officer. Piggott was also famous for being the only person who had fallen 60 feet off Clara's Point and lived to tell the tale. He died in 1911. In 1926, Cotesworth Pickney bought the house for his brother-in-law, Bishop Craik Morris, to use when he retired. However, Mrs. Morris did not want to live here so they sold it to John Luke in 1929. Luke, a major in World War I, was ordained a clergyman in 1924. He used the house as a summer home and kept it until his death in 1951. Mrs. Luke stayed in it for some years after his death. She sold part of the lot with a small chapel to John Hodges. Dr. and Mrs. Keppler bought the house in September 1956, and lived there until around 2010. The house is currently owned by Martin and Marion Knoll.
-
Mayhew House
This house was built in 1873 by Mr. Jabez Wheeler Hayes. He was a successful jewelry manufacturer and Sewanee’s first large scale benefactor after the Civil War. His gifts were mainly civic improvements in the community; contributing $100,000 of his fortune into the early development of the village and founding Sewanee’s first public school. Hayes built this large residence for his son-in-law George A. Mayhew. Mayhew had a store in the village and came with his family from the north with Hayes. This house was on the road connecting the Sewanee Military Academy to the village, now known as Kentucky Avenue. The University Record of August 1874, notes “…the completion of the fine mansion of George A. Mayhew, Esq. The external appearance of the house is handsome and commanding, while the internal arrangements present very great beauty and convenience. The panel work of black walnut and chestnut shows the fine effect which can be produced by the judicious use of our native woods, and that chestnut can be put to a more ornamental use than fence posts and house blocks.” Mayhew died in 1882 and his sister, Miss Mayhew, raised his two daughters. After Miss Mayhew’s death the house stood empty for many years, although it was still owned by the Mayhew family. It was broken into and people helped themselves to the furnishings.
In the early 1910s, Archdeacon and former Rector of Otey Parish, William Stirling Claiborne, bought the house and gave it to the University. He intended it as a home for Col. Duval Cravens, superintendent of Sewanee Military Academy. Cravens and his family lived there for several years after they came to Sewanee in 1912. By 1932 it was converted into two apartments for Sewanee Military Academy faculty. The house was razed in 1967.
-
Mayhew House
This house was built in 1873 by Mr. Jabez Wheeler Hayes. He was a successful jewelry manufacturer and Sewanee’s first large scale benefactor after the Civil War. His gifts were mainly civic improvements in the community; contributing $100,000 of his fortune into the early development of the village and founding Sewanee’s first public school. Hayes built this large residence for his son-in-law George A. Mayhew. Mayhew had a store in the village and came with his family from the north with Hayes. This house was on the road connecting the Sewanee Military Academy to the village, now known as Kentucky Avenue. The University Record of August 1874, notes “…the completion of the fine mansion of George A. Mayhew, Esq. The external appearance of the house is handsome and commanding, while the internal arrangements present very great beauty and convenience. The panel work of black walnut and chestnut shows the fine effect which can be produced by the judicious use of our native woods, and that chestnut can be put to a more ornamental use than fence posts and house blocks.” Mayhew died in 1882 and his sister, Miss Mayhew, raised his two daughters. After Miss Mayhew’s death the house stood empty for many years, although it was still owned by the Mayhew family. It was broken into and people helped themselves to the furnishings.
In the early 1910s, Archdeacon and former Rector of Otey Parish, William Stirling Claiborne, bought the house and gave it to the University. He intended it as a home for Col. Duval Cravens, superintendent of Sewanee Military Academy. Cravens and his family lived there for several years after they came to Sewanee in 1912. By 1932 it was converted into two apartments for Sewanee Military Academy faculty. The house was razed in 1967.
