Browse Items (5 total)
Sort by:
-
Beasley/EQB House
Letter to Mrs. Chitty from Annie Armour?
Mrs. Chitty, Here are two accounts that support your belief that the EQB club once met in the house Mrs. Beasley has bought: ...we finally decided to have a regular meeting place, which could be furnished as a reading and recreation room. We secured the lot back of Thompson Hall, now known as the "Union", and, by assessment on the members, raised the money to build the small wooden house, which is now used as an office by the Health Officer, and there we held our meetings for several years. A billiard and pool table was installed in the back room and was in constant use. On rainy days especially we found it a delightful exercise. When the Vice-Chancellor decided to build a permanent Supply Store, we consented to donate our cottage and accept the two rooms over the Supply Store for our EQB quarters and that location we greatly enjoyed until the Supply Store was burned, and then we built another home for the Club in Elliott Park... (Bishop Gailor-Some Memories)
An account by Telfair Hodgson says:
...in 1889 it moved into a club house which it had built at the rear of Thompson Hall, on the spot where the doctor's office is now. This was a small one story house with probably three rooms and it was used by the club for about ten years until 1899. Later when the movie addition to Thompson Hall was built this house was moved by the University down the street to a location just below Dr. Torian's residence.
Another account
It was said to be the office of Dr. R.M. Kirby-Smith, dates unknown. It was moved down the hill to its present site in 1941 to be the residence of John Hodges. Mrs. Echols and her niece lived there for a time. the the residents more or less in order were John and Ellen Webb, Harry and Jean Yeatman, Cruse and Jim Clark, who sold it to Ed and Elizabeth Camp. The Camps added the left wing. The most recent resident was Peggy Reavis, who was living there no later than 1969.
-
Beasley/EQB
This house was built in 1889 by the Ecce Quam Bonum Club. They secured the lot back of Thompson Hall, now known as the "Union", and, by assessment on the members, raised the money to build the small wooden house. This house had probably three rooms which were used for meetings, reading, and recreation. A billard and pool table were installed in the back room and in constant use. Founded in 1870, EQB functioned as literary and social club. The club was originally a male society consisting of faculty members, administrators, and “gentlemen resident at Sewanee” who gathered twice monthly for lectures called “leads.” The house was used by the club for about a decade until 1899 when the University offered two rooms over the old Supply Store. This was so that they could build the Sewanee Union Theater on the house’s lot. Rather than tear the house down the University moved it just down the street next to Dr. Torian’s residence.
There it became the fraternity house of Alpha Kappa Kappa, a medical fraternity. After 1907 it became the office of Dr. Reynold Kirby-Smith when he was elected Officer of the University and Chief of Staff of the Emerald Hodgson Hospital. Later it became the residence of John and Betty Hodges. The residents preceding them more or less in order were Mrs. Echols and her niece, John and Ellen Webb, Harry and Jean Yeatman, Cruse and Jim Clark, who sold it to Ed and Elizabeth Camp. The Camps added the left wing. The house is currently owned by W. B. Rodgers and Marion Beasley as of 1983.
-
Beasley/EQB
This house was built in 1889 by the Ecce Quam Bonum Club. They secured the lot back of Thompson Hall, now known as the "Union", and, by assessment on the members, raised the money to build the small wooden house. This house had probably three rooms which were used for meetings, reading, and recreation. A billard and pool table were installed in the back room and in constant use. Founded in 1870, EQB functioned as literary and social club. The club was originally a male society consisting of faculty members, administrators, and “gentlemen resident at Sewanee” who gathered twice monthly for lectures called “leads.” The house was used by the club for about a decade until 1899 when the University offered two rooms over the old Supply Store. This was so that they could build the Sewanee Union Theater on the house’s lot. Rather than tear the house down the University moved it just down the street next to Dr. Torian’s residence.
There it became the fraternity house of Alpha Kappa Kappa, a medical fraternity. After 1907 it became the office of Dr. Reynold Kirby-Smith when he was elected Officer of the University and Chief of Staff of the Emerald Hodgson Hospital. Later it became the residence of John and Betty Hodges. The residents preceding them more or less in order were Mrs. Echols and her niece, John and Ellen Webb, Harry and Jean Yeatman, Cruse and Jim Clark, who sold it to Ed and Elizabeth Camp. The Camps added the left wing. The house is currently owned by W. B. Rodgers and Marion Beasley as of 1983.
-
Keppler House
This house was built by Mr. Hayes for Mrs. M.R. DeSaussure. She came to Sewanee to educate her four sons. There were four DeSaussures in the Grammar School in 1873 but only one of them went on to the University. In 1874 Dr. George T. Wilmer came to teach and owned the house until he left in 1887. He taught metaphysics, political science, history, and commercial law and banking. In 1877, the lease was taken by M.J. Carruthers and after that again by Mr. Hayes.
In 1888, Dr. Cameron Piggott bought the house and lived there for more than 20 years. During his ownership the house became the first building on the plateau to have running water. Piggott, a graduate of Johns Hopkins, taught chemistry, geology, and mineralogy at the University. However, he was best remembered as a dedicated doctor. He delivered all the babies, came to houses on call, and sat up and stayed with the dying. For many years he served as the health officer. Piggott was also famous for being the only person who had fallen 60 feet off Clara's Point and lived to tell the tale. He died in 1911. In 1926, Cotesworth Pickney bought the house for his brother-in-law, Bishop Craik Morris, to use when he retired. However, Mrs. Morris did not want to live here so they sold it to John Luke in 1929. Luke, a major in World War I, was ordained a clergyman in 1924. He used the house as a summer home and kept it until his death in 1951. Mrs. Luke stayed in it for some years after his death. She sold part of the lot with a small chapel to John Hodges. Dr. and Mrs. Keppler bought the house in September 1956, and lived there until around 2010. The house is currently owned by Martin and Marion Knoll.
-
Keppler House
This house was built by Mr. Hayes for Mrs. M.R. DeSaussure. She came to Sewanee to educate her four sons. There were four DeSaussures in the Grammar School in 1873 but only one of them went on to the University. In 1874 Dr. George T. Wilmer came to teach and owned the house until he left in 1887. He taught metaphysics, political science, history, and commercial law and banking. In 1877, the lease was taken by M.J. Carruthers and after that again by Mr. Hayes.
In 1888, Dr. Cameron Piggott bought the house and lived there for more than 20 years. During his ownership the house became the first building on the plateau to have running water. Piggott, a graduate of Johns Hopkins, taught chemistry, geology, and mineralogy at the University. However, he was best remembered as a dedicated doctor. He delivered all the babies, came to houses on call, and sat up and stayed with the dying. For many years he served as the health officer. Piggott was also famous for being the only person who had fallen 60 feet off Clara's Point and lived to tell the tale. He died in 1911. In 1926, Cotesworth Pickney bought the house for his brother-in-law, Bishop Craik Morris, to use when he retired. However, Mrs. Morris did not want to live here so they sold it to John Luke in 1929. Luke, a major in World War I, was ordained a clergyman in 1924. He used the house as a summer home and kept it until his death in 1951. Mrs. Luke stayed in it for some years after his death. She sold part of the lot with a small chapel to John Hodges. Dr. and Mrs. Keppler bought the house in September 1956, and lived there until around 2010. The house is currently owned by Martin and Marion Knoll.
