Skip to main content
Online Exhibitions and Digital History

Browse Items (528 total)

  • The Lovell home, “Sunnyside,” was built in 1870 by H.N. Caldwell, the town druggist. The house served as his primary residence while the cottage next door (Miller House) was where he operated the “Book Store and Pharmacy.” In August of 1873 the lease was sold and transferred for use as a summer home to Col. William Storrow Lovell from Natchez. Col. and Mrs. Lovell had three sons and two daughters. Prior to the Civil War Lovell was in the US Navy and was part of Dr. Kane's 1853 expedition to find Sir John Franklin, the Arctic explorer who disappeared in search of the Northwest Passage in 1845. Lovell brought back an enormous polar bear skin from the expedition. The polar bear skin was mounted and placed in the hall; it was reported that the children were terrified of it. The house was also full of items from Monmouth, Mrs. Lovell’s family estate in Natchez, and collections from a year the family spent travelling abroad.

    Until about 1907, students lived in a wing at the back of the house. After Mrs. Lovell’s death in 1916, her daughter Rosalie Duncan Lovell or “Miss Rose,” took over Sunnyside. Miss Rose remembered many of the early characters in Sewanee and wrote vividly about them in Purple Sewanee. After the rest of the family died, a friend from Virginia, Miss Lily Baker, lived with Miss Rose. The garden toward the west of the house was said to be one of the most charming on the Mountain and was kept up until Miss Rose's death in 1936.

    After Miss Rose’s death, the Lovell Home was rented to families of University staff. The widow of the last renters, Mrs. Raymond Hall, remained in the home after her husband’s death and took in student boarders. The house was razed in 1953 when Hunter Hall was built.
  • The Lovell home, “Sunnyside,” was built in 1870 by H.N. Caldwell, the town druggist. The house served as his primary residence while the cottage next door (Miller House) was where he operated the “Book Store and Pharmacy.” In August of 1873 the lease was sold and transferred for use as a summer home to Col. William Storrow Lovell from Natchez. Col. and Mrs. Lovell had three sons and two daughters. Prior to the Civil War Lovell was in the US Navy and was part of Dr. Kane's 1853 expedition to find Sir John Franklin, the Arctic explorer who disappeared in search of the Northwest Passage in 1845. Lovell brought back an enormous polar bear skin from the expedition. The polar bear skin was mounted and placed in the hall; it was reported that the children were terrified of it. The house was also full of items from Monmouth, Mrs. Lovell’s family estate in Natchez, and collections from a year the family spent travelling abroad.


    Until about 1907, students lived in a wing at the back of the house. After Mrs. Lovell’s death in 1916, her daughter Rosalie Duncan Lovell or “Miss Rose,” took over Sunnyside. Miss Rose remembered many of the early characters in Sewanee and wrote vividly about them in Purple Sewanee. After the rest of the family died, a friend from Virginia, Miss Lily Baker, lived with Miss Rose. The garden toward the west of the house was said to be one of the most charming on the Mountain and was kept up until Miss Rose's death in 1936.

    After Miss Rose’s death, the Lovell Home was rented to families of University staff. The widow of the last renters, Mrs. Raymond Hall, remained in the home after her husband’s death and took in student boarders. The house was razed in 1953 when Hunter Hall was built.
  • The Lovell home, “Sunnyside,” was built in 1870 by H.N. Caldwell, the town druggist. The house served as his primary residence while the cottage next door (Miller House) was where he operated the “Book Store and Pharmacy.” In August of 1873 the lease was sold and transferred for use as a summer home to Col. William Storrow Lovell from Natchez. Col. and Mrs. Lovell had three sons and two daughters. Prior to the Civil War Lovell was in the US Navy and was part of Dr. Kane's 1853 expedition to find Sir John Franklin, the Arctic explorer who disappeared in search of the Northwest Passage in 1845. Lovell brought back an enormous polar bear skin from the expedition. The polar bear skin was mounted and placed in the hall; it was reported that the children were terrified of it. The house was also full of items from Monmouth, Mrs. Lovell’s family estate in Natchez, and collections from a year the family spent travelling abroad.

    Until about 1907, students lived in a wing at the back of the house. After Mrs. Lovell’s death in 1916, her daughter Rosalie Duncan Lovell or “Miss Rose,” took over Sunnyside. Miss Rose remembered many of the early characters in Sewanee and wrote vividly about them in Purple Sewanee. After the rest of the family died, a friend from Virginia, Miss Lily Baker, lived with Miss Rose. The garden toward the west of the house was said to be one of the most charming on the Mountain and was kept up until Miss Rose's death in 1936.

    After Miss Rose’s death, the Lovell Home was rented to families of University staff. The widow of the last renters, Mrs. Raymond Hall, remained in the home after her husband’s death and took in student boarders. The house was razed in 1953 when Hunter Hall was built.
  • The Lovell home, “Sunnyside,” was built in 1870 by H. N. Caldwell, the town druggist. The house served as his primary residence while the cottage next door (Miller Hall) was where he operated the “Book Store and Pharmacy.” In August of 1873 the lease was sold and transferred for use as a summer home to Col. William Storrow Lovell from Natchez, Mississippi. Col. and Mrs. Lovell had three sons and two daughters. Prior to the Civil War Lovell was in the U.S. Navy and was part of Dr. Kane's expedition in 1853 to find Sir John Franklin, the Arctic explorer who disappeared in search of the Northwest Passage in 1845. Lovell brought back an enormous polar bear skin from the expedition. The polar bear skin was mounted and placed in the hall; it was reported that the children were terrified of it. The house was also full of items from Monmouth, Mrs. Lovell’s family estate in Natchez, and collections from a year the family spent travelling abroad.

    Until about 1907, students lived in a wing at the back of the house. After Mrs. Lovell’s death in 1916, her daughter Rosalie Duncan Lovell or “Miss Rose,” took over Sunnyside. Miss Rose remembered many of the early characters in Sewanee and wrote vividly about them in Purple Sewanee. After the rest of the family died, a friend from Virginia, Miss Lily Baker, lived with Miss Rose. The garden toward the west of the house was said to be one of the most charming on the Mountain and was kept up until Miss Rose's death in 1936.

    After Miss Rose’s death, the Lovell Home was rented to families of University staff. The widow of the last renters, Mrs. Raymond Hall, remained in the home after her husband’s death and took in student boarders. The house was razed in 1953 when Hunter Hall was built.
  • The Lovell home, “Sunnyside,” was built in 1870 by H. N. Caldwell, the town druggist. The house served as his primary residence while the cottage next door (Miller Hall) was where he operated the “Book Store and Pharmacy.” In August of 1873 the lease was sold and transferred for use as a summer home to Col. William Storrow Lovell from Natchez, Mississippi. Col. and Mrs. Lovell had three sons and two daughters. Prior to the Civil War Lovell was in the U.S. Navy and was part of Dr. Kane's expedition in 1853 to find Sir John Franklin, the Arctic explorer who disappeared in search of the Northwest Passage in 1845. Lovell brought back an enormous polar bear skin from the expedition. The polar bear skin was mounted and placed in the hall; it was reported that the children were terrified of it. The house was also full of items from Monmouth, Mrs. Lovell’s family estate in Natchez, and collections from a year the family spent travelling abroad.

    Until about 1907, students lived in a wing at the back of the house. After Mrs. Lovell’s death in 1916, her daughter Rosalie Duncan Lovell or “Miss Rose,” took over Sunnyside. Miss Rose remembered many of the early characters in Sewanee and wrote vividly about them in Purple Sewanee. After the rest of the family died, a friend from Virginia, Miss Lily Baker, lived with Miss Rose. The garden toward the west of the house was said to be one of the most charming on the Mountain and was kept up until Miss Rose's death in 1936.

    After Miss Rose’s death, the Lovell Home was rented to families of University staff. The widow of the last renters, Mrs. Raymond Hall, remained in the home after her husband’s death and took in student boarders. The house was razed in 1953 when Hunter Hall was built.
  • Glass front bookcase double-door with two doors at floor level.
  • This house was built by Mr. Hayes for Mrs. M.R. DeSaussure. She came to Sewanee to educate her four sons. There were four DeSaussures in the Grammar School in 1873 but only one of them went on to the University. In 1874 Dr. George T. Wilmer came to teach and owned the house until he left in 1887. He taught metaphysics, political science, history, and commercial law and banking. In 1877, the lease was taken by M.J. Carruthers and after that again by Mr. Hayes.

    In 1888, Dr. Cameron Piggott bought the house and lived there for more than 20 years. During his ownership the house became the first building on the plateau to have running water. Piggott, a graduate of Johns Hopkins, taught chemistry, geology, and mineralogy at the University. However, he was best remembered as a dedicated doctor. He delivered all the babies, came to houses on call, and sat up and stayed with the dying. For many years he served as the health officer. Piggott was also famous for being the only person who had fallen 60 feet off Clara's Point and lived to tell the tale. He died in 1911. In 1926, Cotesworth Pickney bought the house for his brother-in-law, Bishop Craik Morris, to use when he retired. However, Mrs. Morris did not want to live here so they sold it to John Luke in 1929. Luke, a major in World War I, was ordained a clergyman in 1924. He used the house as a summer home and kept it until his death in 1951. Mrs. Luke stayed in it for some years after his death. She sold part of the lot with a small chapel to John Hodges. Dr. and Mrs. Keppler bought the house in September 1956, and lived there until around 2010. The house is currently owned by Martin and Marion Knoll.
  • This house was built by Mr. Hayes for Mrs. M.R. DeSaussure. She came to Sewanee to educate her four sons. There were four DeSaussures in the Grammar School in 1873 but only one of them went on to the University. In 1874 Dr. George T. Wilmer came to teach and owned the house until he left in 1887. He taught metaphysics, political science, history, and commercial law and banking. In 1877, the lease was taken by M.J. Carruthers and after that again by Mr. Hayes.

    In 1888, Dr. Cameron Piggott bought the house and lived there for more than 20 years. During his ownership the house became the first building on the plateau to have running water. Piggott, a graduate of Johns Hopkins, taught chemistry, geology, and mineralogy at the University. However, he was best remembered as a dedicated doctor. He delivered all the babies, came to houses on call, and sat up and stayed with the dying. For many years he served as the health officer. Piggott was also famous for being the only person who had fallen 60 feet off Clara's Point and lived to tell the tale. He died in 1911. In 1926, Cotesworth Pickney bought the house for his brother-in-law, Bishop Craik Morris, to use when he retired. However, Mrs. Morris did not want to live here so they sold it to John Luke in 1929. Luke, a major in World War I, was ordained a clergyman in 1924. He used the house as a summer home and kept it until his death in 1951. Mrs. Luke stayed in it for some years after his death. She sold part of the lot with a small chapel to John Hodges. Dr. and Mrs. Keppler bought the house in September 1956, and lived there until around 2010. The house is currently owned by Martin and Marion Knoll.
  • This one story Folk Victorian is similiar to the Collin's cottage also situated on Bob Stewman Road. The Kennedy family once owned but since 1969 Eugene and Catherine Norwood, Annie Armour and Jim Jones, Don and Mimi DuPree, Phillip and Hunt Gazzola John and Rachel Bradbury had occupied the lease.
  • This was one of the first residences built in Sewanee. The house is reminiscent of Andrew Jackson Downing’s architecture styles from his book The Architecture of Country Houses and was described as variegated in color. Bishop William Mercer Green of Mississippi, the fourth chancellor of the University, built this house for his family in January 1867, and they moved into Kendal that spring. The name “Kendal” was derived from the Green family’s ancestral home in Westmoreland, England. Bishop Green was chancellor until his death in 1887 at the age of 89, and made his home at Kendal most of the time, between trips to his diocese. During this time, Miss Elizabeth “Lily” Green, the Bishop’s daughter, began to host guests at Kendal. The most notable of these guests was Jefferson Davis, a friend of Bishop Green’s and said to be a champion at backgammon. There were at least three cottages surrounding the main house and it is believed the Jack Carter House and the house next door may have comprised some of these cottages.

    After her father’s death, Miss Lily ran Kendal as a boarding house for summer visitors and students until her death in 1917. She was hailed as someone who never treated the townspeople differently than the University community. “Her charity, her generosity, her noble life; no story of Sewanee's early days can be complete without some mention of her.” (Purple Sewanee, page 135.) Following Miss Lily’s death, Kendal was owned by Bishop Green's granddaughter Miss Mamie Cotten and her sister-in-law, Mrs. Arthur Cotten, until it was torn down in 1965. Although the main house was razed, a stone engraved “Green” still stands near a house that was once one of the cottages surrounding Kendal.
  • This was one of the first residences built in Sewanee. The house is reminiscent of Andrew Jackson Downing’s architecture styles from his book The Architecture of Country Houses and was described as variegated in color. Bishop William Mercer Green of Mississippi, the fourth chancellor of the University, built this house for his family in January 1867, and they moved into Kendal that spring. The name “Kendal” was derived from the Green family’s ancestral home in Westmoreland, England. Bishop Green was chancellor until his death in 1887 at the age of 89, and made his home at Kendal most of the time, between trips to his diocese. During this time, Miss Elizabeth “Lily” Green, the Bishop’s daughter, began to host guests at Kendal. The most notable of these guests was Jefferson Davis, a friend of Bishop Green’s and said to be a champion at backgammon. There were at least three cottages surrounding the main house and it is believed the Jack Carter House and the house next door may have comprised some of these cottages.

    After her father’s death, Miss Lily ran Kendal as a boarding house for summer visitors and students until her death in 1917. She was hailed as someone who never treated the townspeople differently than the University community. “Her charity, her generosity, her noble life; no story of Sewanee's early days can be complete without some mention of her.” (Purple Sewanee, page 135.) Following Miss Lily’s death, Kendal was owned by Bishop Green's granddaughter Miss Mamie Cotten and her sister-in-law, Mrs. Arthur Cotten, until it was torn down in 1965. Although the main house was razed, a stone engraved “Green” still stands near a house that was once one of the cottages surrounding Kendal.
  • This was one of the first residences built in Sewanee. The house is reminiscent of Andrew Jackson Downing’s architecture styles from his book The Architecture of Country Houses and was described as variegated in color. Bishop William Mercer Green of Mississippi, the fourth chancellor of the University, built this house for his family in January 1867, and they moved into Kendal that spring. The name “Kendal” was derived from the Green family’s ancestral home in Westmoreland, England. Bishop Green was chancellor until his death in 1887 at the age of 89, and made his home at Kendal most of the time, between trips to his diocese. During this time, Miss Elizabeth “Lily” Green, the Bishop’s daughter, began to host guests at Kendal. The most notable of these guests was Jefferson Davis, a friend of Bishop Green’s and said to be a champion at backgammon. There were at least three cottages surrounding the main house and it is believed the Jack Carter House and the house next door may have comprised some of these cottages.

    After her father’s death, Miss Lily ran Kendal as a boarding house for summer visitors and students until her death in 1917. She was hailed as someone who never treated the townspeople differently than the University community. “Her charity, her generosity, her noble life; no story of Sewanee's early days can be complete without some mention of her.” (Purple Sewanee, page 135.) Following Miss Lily’s death, Kendal was owned by Bishop Green's granddaughter Miss Mamie Cotten and her sister-in-law, Mrs. Arthur Cotten, until it was torn down in 1965. Although the main house was razed, a stone engraved “Green” still stands near a house that was once one of the cottages surrounding Kendal.
  • This was one of the first residences built in Sewanee. The house is reminiscent of Andrew Jackson Downing’s architecture styles from his book The Architecture of Country Houses and was described as variegated in color. Bishop William Mercer Green of Mississippi, the fourth chancellor of the University, built this house for his family in January 1867, and they moved into Kendal that spring. The name “Kendal” was derived from the Green family’s ancestral home in Westmoreland, England. Bishop Green was chancellor until his death in 1887 at the age of 89, and made his home at Kendal most of the time, between trips to his diocese. During this time, Miss Elizabeth “Lily” Green, the Bishop’s daughter, began to host guests at Kendal. The most notable of these guests was Jefferson Davis, a friend of Bishop Green’s and said to be a champion at backgammon. There were at least three cottages surrounding the main house and it is believed the Jack Carter House and the house next door may have comprised some of these cottages.

    After her father’s death, Miss Lily ran Kendal as a boarding house for summer visitors and students until her death in 1917. She was hailed as someone who never treated the townspeople differently than the University community. “Her charity, her generosity, her noble life; no story of Sewanee's early days can be complete without some mention of her.” (Purple Sewanee, page 135.) Following Miss Lily’s death, Kendal was owned by Bishop Green's granddaughter Miss Mamie Cotten and her sister-in-law, Mrs. Arthur Cotten, until it was torn down in 1965. Although the main house was razed, a stone engraved “Green” still stands near a house that was once one of the cottages surrounding Kendal.
  • This was one of the first residences built in Sewanee. The house is reminiscent of Andrew Jackson Downing’s architecture styles from his book The Architecture of Country Houses and was described as variegated in color. Bishop William Mercer Green of Mississippi, the fourth chancellor of the University, built this house for his family in January 1867, and they moved into Kendal that spring. The name “Kendal” was derived from the Green family’s ancestral home in Westmoreland, England. Bishop Green was chancellor until his death in 1887 at the age of 89, and made his home at Kendal most of the time, between trips to his diocese. During this time, Miss Elizabeth “Lily” Green, the Bishop’s daughter, began to host guests at Kendal. The most notable of these guests was Jefferson Davis, a friend of Bishop Green’s and said to be a champion at backgammon. There were at least three cottages surrounding the main house and it is believed the Jack Carter House and the house next door may have comprised some of these cottages.

    After her father’s death, Miss Lily ran Kendal as a boarding house for summer visitors and students until her death in 1917. She was hailed as someone who never treated the townspeople differently than the University community. “Her charity, her generosity, her noble life; no story of Sewanee's early days can be complete without some mention of her.” (Purple Sewanee, page 135.) Following Miss Lily’s death, Kendal was owned by Bishop Green's granddaughter Miss Mamie Cotten and her sister-in-law, Mrs. Arthur Cotten, until it was torn down in 1965. Although the main house was razed, a stone engraved “Green” still stands near a house that was once one of the cottages surrounding Kendal.
  • This house and a studio in the yard were built by the photographer Mr. Spencer Judd right around the time he started his photography studio. The Judd family was associated with both Sewanee and Winchester from the earliest days of the University, H. O. Judd operated a laundry at the Depot. Spencer Judd’s father, the Rev. B. S. Judd, was a former missionary to native Americans who came to assist the Rev. Thomas Morris in establishing a church at Winchester. Very soon, however, the Rev. Judd moved from Winchester to Sewanee, probably sometime in the summer or early fall of 1859 and began to hold services in his Sewanee house. Spencer Judd lovingly recalled his father taking him to the laying of the University cornerstone in 1860 when he was five years old.

    Spencer Judd lived with his father (in the house later known as the Weber House) until he went in business for himself. He first worked with his older brother, H. 0. Judd Jr., who was also a photographer, however when his brother left Sewanee for Chattanooga Spencer Judd started his own studio. The University News (1876) reported, “C. S. Judd will open a Gallery at Sewanee about the middle of May.” Judd would have been about 20 years old at the time. At one point there were apparently two Judd studios in Sewanee. One was located next to the Barbot and Pillet tailor establishment (Cocke House) and the other behind Spencer’s house. He was an artist in portraiture (often set in an “outdoor” garden) especially of children, and took beautiful photographs of Sewanee scenery: waterfalls, views, cliffs, and laurel. For more than 30 years, Judd’s studio was a fixture in Sewanee and numerous children on the Mountain were photographed by him. Many of Judd’s photographs are found in the University Archives but others are in collections across the southeast. After Judd’s death, his wife continued to live in the house until renting it out for a few years before her death in 1949.

    Mrs. Bertha Graves, a beloved figure at the Sewanee Military Academy, bought the house in 1950. She served as dietitian and stenographer for the school. She was known to manage the dining hall with brute strength, never letting a boy go disciplined or worse of all, hungry. Mr. and Mrs. E.P. Govan were the next owners from 1962 until approximately 1969. Other individuals who also owned the house include the Napiers and Jane Burson along with Tupper and Frederica Saussy.  The Saussy's lived there from 1978 until 1997. Archie and Helen Stapleton are the current owners of this house.
  • This house and a studio in the yard were built by the photographer Mr. Spencer Judd right around the time he started his photography studio. The Judd family was associated with both Sewanee and Winchester from the earliest days of the University, H. O. Judd operated a laundry at the Depot. Spencer Judd’s father, the Rev. B. S. Judd, was a former missionary to native Americans who came to assist the Rev. Thomas Morris in establishing a church at Winchester. Very soon, however, the Rev. Judd moved from Winchester to Sewanee, probably sometime in the summer or early fall of 1859 and began to hold services in his Sewanee house. Spencer Judd lovingly recalled his father taking him to the laying of the University cornerstone in 1860 when he was five years old.

    Spencer Judd lived with his father (in the house later known as the Weber House) until he went in business for himself. He first worked with his older brother, H. 0. Judd Jr., who was also a photographer, however when his brother left Sewanee for Chattanooga Spencer Judd started his own studio. The University News (1876) reported, “C. S. Judd will open a Gallery at Sewanee about the middle of May.” Judd would have been about 20 years old at the time. At one point there were apparently two Judd studios in Sewanee. One was located next to the Barbot and Pillet tailor establishment (Cocke House) and the other behind Spencer’s house. He was an artist in portraiture (often set in an “outdoor” garden) especially of children, and took beautiful photographs of Sewanee scenery: waterfalls, views, cliffs, and laurel. For more than 30 years, Judd’s studio was a fixture in Sewanee and numerous children on the Mountain were photographed by him. Many of Judd’s photographs are found in the University Archives but others are in collections across the southeast. After Judd’s death, his wife continued to live in the house until renting it out for a few years before her death in 1949.

    Mrs. Bertha Graves, a beloved figure at the Sewanee Military Academy, bought the house in 1950. She served as dietitian and stenographer for the school. She was known to manage the dining hall with brute strength, never letting a boy go disciplined or worse of all, hungry. Mr. and Mrs. E.P. Govan were the next owners from 1962 until approximately 1969. Other individuals who also owned the house include the Napiers and Jane Burson along with Tupper and Frederica Saussy.  The Saussy's lived there from 1978 until 1997.Archie and Helen Stapleton are the current owners of this house.
  • This house was built by Dr. John Barnwell Elliott in 1874. Dr. Elliott was the second son of Bishop Stephen Elliott and came to Sewanee in 1869 at the age of 28 to be the resident physician and instructor in chemistry. Since the University had been struggling at that time and his underpaid father had left him little money, he designed the house to fit ten student boarders. As a small boy he had ridden up the mountain on the original cornerstone in 1860 when it was pulled up by "two yolk of oxen and 32 borrowed from neighbors" (Purple Sewanee, page 16). Dr. Elliott stayed until 1885 when he resigned to go to Tulane where he had been teaching during his winter vacations. He was very popular with the students as well as the faculty and his departure was much regretted. In 1887 the University gave him an honorary Ph.D. degree.

    Various people rented the house after Dr. Elliot’s departure. Mr. Colmore's family lived in it for a few years and then it was bought by deaconess Graham. She lived there with her sister until she died. The next resident was Dr. Yerkes, who lived there when he taught at St. Luke's. Dr. Loaring Clark purchased the house in 1924. He and his family lived in it for some years. When he accepted a church in Jackson, Tennessee, he sold the house to the University. The University demolished the house in 1959 when the Varnell house was built.
  • This two-story Sears and Roebuck house is one of two on Virginia Avenue. Various people have owned this house over the years. Mrs. Andrew Moore was the original creator of this dwelling followed by A.C. and Lillian Thomspn in the thirties and forties. Mary Lear and Alta Featherston also occupied the home followed by the Janeway family from 1954 until 2016.
  • This two-story Sears and Roebuck house is one of two on Virginia Avenue. Various people have owned this house over the years. Mrs. Andrew Moore was the original creator of this dwelling followed by A.C. and Lillian Thomspn in the thirties and forties. Mary Lear and Alta Featherston also occupied the home followed by the Janeway family from 1954 until 2016.
  • In 1871 Pierre Barbot took a lease on this lot and presumably built the house soon after. We are fortunate to have an early picture of how it looked before various changes were made. Barbot, Sewanee’s first tailor, was from Paris via Winchester, Tennessee. He soon had a business partner, also French, Lazare Pillet. Barbot and Pillet lived in the house and ran their business from there as well. All the students—Grammar School and College—wore military uniforms made by them. They also made elegant dress suits, ladies' riding habits and children's suits. Barbot soon left, but Pillet remained in Sewanee for many years and was joined by Mr. Fabard as his business partner. Pillet was known for his "dapper figure, back straight as a line, well-dressed always in perfect style (his own wonderful creations), tight of fit, and so curved in at the waist as to suggest the use of stays….with his floriated French manner and black mustache, he was the Parisian through and through." (Purple Sewanee, 39-42) He was an enthusiastic gardener and it was he who planted the boxwood on each side of the front walk. When Fabard died, Pillet decided to retire and return to France. Unfortunately, he died while on a visit to Kentucky and is buried in Sewanee.

    The house then became a dormitory for the Medical School before being bought in 1892 by Mrs. J. C. Bradford of Nashville. She used it as a summer home. Mr. John Breckenridge Hunt bought the house from her in 1911 and the house has remained in the Hunt family ever since. Mr. and Mrs. Hunt both loved the woods and the outdoors and she planted many trees and shrubs at the house that are still visible today. After Mrs. Hunt’s death in 1934, her daughter Mary Crockett Hunt, took over the house. For forty years, she served as a secretary at the Sewanee Military Academy. Similar to her parents, she was a lover of the outdoors and became an ardent conservationist and preservationist. When she owned the Hunt House she took in University student boarders who then became her loyal fans. After her death in 1978 the house was bought by Willie Cocke and Lily Hunt.
  • In 1871 Pierre Barbot took a lease on this lot and presumably built the house soon after. We are fortunate to have an early picture of how it looked before various changes were made. Barbot, Sewanee’s first tailor, was from Paris via Winchester, Tennessee. He soon had a business partner, also French, Lazare Pillet. Barbot and Pillet lived in the house and ran their business from there as well. All the students—Grammar School and College—wore military uniforms made by them. They also made elegant dress suits, ladies' riding habits and children's suits. Barbot soon left, but Pillet remained in Sewanee for many years and was joined by Mr. Fabard as his business partner. Pillet was known for his "dapper figure, back straight as a line, well-dressed always in perfect style (his own wonderful creations), tight of fit, and so curved in at the waist as to suggest the use of stays….with his floriated French manner and black mustache, he was the Parisian through and through." (Purple Sewanee, 39-42) He was an enthusiastic gardener and it was he who planted the boxwood on each side of the front walk. When Fabard died, Pillet decided to retire and return to France. Unfortunately, he died while on a visit to Kentucky and is buried in Sewanee.

    The house then became a dormitory for the Medical School before being bought in 1892 by Mrs. J. C. Bradford of Nashville. She used it as a summer home. Mr. John Breckenridge Hunt bought the house from her in 1911 and the house has remained in the Hunt family ever since. Mr. and Mrs. Hunt both loved the woods and the outdoors and she planted many trees and shrubs at the house that are still visible today. After Mrs. Hunt’s death in 1934, her daughter Mary Crockett Hunt, took over the house. For forty years, she served as a secretary at the Sewanee Military Academy. Similar to her parents, she was a lover of the outdoors and became an ardent conservationist and preservationist. When she owned the Hunt House she took in University student boarders who then became her loyal fans. After her death in 1978 the house was bought by Willie Cocke and Lily Hunt.
  • In 1871 Pierre Barbot took a lease on this lot and presumably built the house soon after. We are fortunate to have an early picture of how it looked before various changes were made. Barbot, Sewanee’s first tailor, was from Paris via Winchester, Tennessee. He soon had a business partner, also French, Lazare Pillet. Barbot and Pillet lived in the house and ran their business from there as well. All the students—Grammar School and College—wore military uniforms made by them. They also made elegant dress suits, ladies' riding habits and children's suits. Barbot soon left, but Pillet remained in Sewanee for many years and was joined by Mr. Fabard as his business partner. Pillet was known for his "dapper figure, back straight as a line, well-dressed always in perfect style (his own wonderful creations), tight of fit, and so curved in at the waist as to suggest the use of stays….with his floriated French manner and black mustache, he was the Parisian through and through." (Purple Sewanee, 39-42) He was an enthusiastic gardener and it was he who planted the boxwood on each side of the front walk. When Fabard died, Pillet decided to retire and return to France. Unfortunately, he died while on a visit to Kentucky and is buried in Sewanee.

    The house then became a dormitory for the Medical School before being bought in 1892 by Mrs. J. C. Bradford of Nashville. She used it as a summer home. Mr. John Breckenridge Hunt bought the house from her in 1911 and the house has remained in the Hunt family ever since. Mr. and Mrs. Hunt both loved the woods and the outdoors and she planted many trees and shrubs at the house that are still visible today. After Mrs. Hunt’s death in 1934, her daughter Mary Crockett Hunt, took over the house. For forty years, she served as a secretary at the Sewanee Military Academy. Similar to her parents, she was a lover of the outdoors and became an ardent conservationist and preservationist. When she owned the Hunt House she took in University student boarders who then became her loyal fans. After her death in 1978 the house was bought by Willie Cocke and Lily Hunt.
  • In 1871 Pierre Barbot took a lease on this lot and presumably built the house soon after. We are fortunate to have an early picture of how it looked before various changes were made. Monsieur Barbot, the first tailor, was from Paris via Winchester, Tennessee. He soon had a partner, also French, Lazare Pillet, and their business grew and flourished, carried on from this house in which they also lived. All the students, Grammar School and College, wore military uniforms with elaborate braiding and brass buttons made by them. They also made elegant dress suits, ladies' riding habits and children's suits. Monsieur Barbot soon left, but Pillet was an important figure in Sewanee life for many years. He also had a partner, Monsieur Fabard. "The older residents remember his (Pillet's) erect, dapper figure, back straigt as a line, well-dressed always in perfect style (his own wonderful creations), tight of fit, and so curved in at the waist as to suggest the use of stays. On special occasions he wore, a frock coat and silk hat. Courteous always, with his floriated French manner and black mustache, he was the Parisian through and through." (Purple Sewanee, 39-42) He was an enthusiastic gardener and it was he who planted the boxwood on each side of the front walk. His flowers were sought by the beaux who sent his stiff little bouquets to the girls at the dances. His wife died and is buried in the Sewanee Cemetery with her infant daughter. When Fabard died, Pillet decided to return to France and retire. He married Madame Fabard and was on a visit in Kentucky when he died and was brought to Sewanee and buried beside his first wife.

    The house became a dormitory for the Medical School before being bought by Mrs. J. C. Bradford of Nashville in 1892 as a summer home. Mr. John Breckenridge Hunt bought it from her in 1911. The house has been occupied by members of his family ever since. His wife, Mary Love Washington was a free spirited woman and followed Mr. Hunt to his various lumber camps, living in mountain cabins or townhouses—wherever he happened to have a mill. They both truly loved the woods and the freedom of country living. This love was expressed in the many trees and shrubs Mrs. Hunt planted during their time there. They are still visible today. After Mrs. Hunt’s death in 1934, her daughter, Mary Crockett Hunt, took over the house. For forty years, she served as a secretary to the superintendent, paymaster, registrar, and anything else that came along at the Sewanee Military Academy. She worked with five superintendents. Similar to her parents, she was a lover of the outdoors and became an ardent conservationist and preservationist. She was a charter member of the Sewanee branch of the Sewanee branch of the Association for preservation of Tennessee Antiquities. When she owned the Hunt House she took in University student boarders who then became her loyal fans. She may have live quietly, but she left her mark as “a devoted daughter of Sewanee”. After her death in 1978 the house was bought by Willie Cocke and Lily Hunt.
  • Mr. Bork, proprietor of a tin shop in the village, built this house. Along with other his other wares, he made torches for celebratory processions. The News in November 1876, stated that torchlight processions were the favorite way to celebrate. A letter, from June 11, 1874 reads, “They are making grand preparations for the coming meeting of Trustees in August. The Chapel is being enlarged 20 feet. They are getting torchlight processions and fireworks ready.”

    Mr. J.A. Van Hoose, the next leaseholder, was here from 1877-1879. He was a graduate of the College and was a deacon, proctor and also became headmaster of the Grammar School. Van Hoose later became mayor of Birmingham. He also served as president of the Associated Alumni and a trustee. In 1879, Mrs. Mary Esther Huger of Charleston, bought the house. Mrs. Huger had twelve children. One daughter, Harriott Lucas Huger, married Dr. John B. Elliott, the University’s first health officer. Another married the Rev. Theodore Porcher. Mrs. Huger ran a school for young children and had a cottage in the yard for students. The Mountain News reported in April 1879 that Mrs. Huger was to open her “infant school.” Mr. and Mrs. Huger supposedly did not talk for 20 years. However, when Mr. Huger died, his long-separated widow still dutifully followed the rigid Southern custom of going into mourning, wearing black “down to her heels,” and made no social calls all summer. Mrs. Huger died in 1898. Mrs. Blanche Hindman Cox bought the house and the cottage in 1925. She made numerous changes to the two buildings and moved to the cottage in 1927. In 1927 the lease of this house was taken over by S.D. and M.H. Cole. Mrs. Jane Sidney Robison, the wife of a retired minister, bought the house in 1940 and lived there several years after her husband died in 1947.

    Remington and Ramona Rose-Crosley are the current owners of the house as of 2001.
  • Mr. Bork, proprietor of a tin shop in the village, built this house. Along with other his other wares, he made torches for celebratory processions. The News in November 1876, stated that torchlight processions were the favorite way to celebrate. A letter, from June 11, 1874 reads, “They are making grand preparations for the coming meeting of Trustees in August. The Chapel is being enlarged 20 feet. They are getting torchlight processions and fireworks ready.”

    Mr. J.A. Van Hoose, the next leaseholder, was here from 1877-1879. He was a graduate of the College and was a deacon, proctor and also became headmaster of the Grammar School. Van Hoose later became mayor of Birmingham. He also served as president of the Associated Alumni and a trustee. In 1879, Mrs. Mary Esther Huger of Charleston, bought the house. Mrs. Huger had twelve children. One daughter, Harriott Lucas Huger, married Dr. John B. Elliott, the University’s first health officer. Another married the Rev. Theodore Porcher. Mrs. Huger ran a school for young children and had a cottage in the yard for students. The Mountain News reported in April 1879 that Mrs. Huger was to open her “infant school.” Mr. and Mrs. Huger supposedly did not talk for 20 years. However, when Mr. Huger died, his long-separated widow still dutifully followed the rigid Southern custom of going into mourning, wearing black “down to her heels,” and made no social calls all summer. Mrs. Huger died in 1898. Mrs. Blanche Hindman Cox bought the house and the cottage in 1925. She made numerous changes to the two buildings and moved to the cottage in 1927. In 1927 the lease of this house was taken over by S.D. and M.H. Cole. Mrs. Jane Sidney Robison, the wife of a retired minister, bought the house in 1940 and lived there several years after her husband died in 1947.

    Remington and Ramona Rose-Crosley are the current owners of the house as of 2001.
  • The home on University Avenue, Sewanee, now occupied by the Hospitality shop is one of the older homes on the domain. The Rev. Mr. Philip Werlein has many happy memoiries of visits to his Grand-Mother in this home, built in 1891? "IDLEWILD" was the name given to the Sewanee home of Dr. and Mrs. Fayette Clay Ewing. Dr. Ewing (1824-1872) was born in Logan County, Kentucky, educated in Kentucky and went to Thibodaux, Louisiana, Lafourche Parish to practice medicine. He was an army surgeon of recognized superior capacity in the Civil War. He married in Assumption Parish, Louisiana, February 3, 1852, Eliza Josephine Kittredge (1833-1914) at "Elm Hill", home of her parents (Dr. Ebenzer Eaton Kittredge and Martha Wills Green). At this wedding, which was a brilliant function, the Rt. Rev. Leonidas Polk, then Bishop of Louisiana officiated. Eliza Kittredge Weing was the mother of six children: three daughters, Leila Wills Ewing Werlein; Ida May Ewing Dabney; Jessie Aline Ewing Gillis and three sons-Judge Presley Kittredge Ewing; Dr. Fayette Clay Ewing-educated at the University of the South, his son Fayette Clay was a Professor at the University of the South and died of a heart attack in December 1914; Quincy Ewing, Episcopal Minister, writer of renown, education in the academic and theological courses at the University of the South. It was a leading thought with her to have each son in a profession and was very proud that each was distinguished enough in his profession to be in "Who's Who of America: among the leading men of the Nation.
    Mrs. Ewing was a confirmed member of the Episcopal Church. After the death of her husband in 1872, she managed the estate and completed the education of her children; later she lived at her home "IDLEWILD", an attractive cottage banked with flowers at Sewanee. She was an accomplised musician and a great favorite of the students-she played for so many of their parties.

    Mrs. Ewing died in Louisiania while visiting her daughters, March 29, 1914 and is buried by her husband in st. John's Episcopal Cemetery, Thibodaux, Louisania. The cottage, Idlewild, Sewanee, remained in the family, being the summer home of her son, Presley Kittredge Ewing....

    Note: the Floor plan of IDLEWILD is the same as several other Sewanee homes of the period-front hall entrance and the stairway to the second floor goes from the back hall. (EAL 9/78)
    IDLEWILD had a new owner in 1924 when Dr. William James Crockett, Dentist, came to Sewanee to practice. Dr. Crockett was born in 1880 in Franklin, Tennessee and educated at the University of Kentucky. He married Miss Laura Shackelford (1886-November 26, 1977) and they had one son. When the Crocketts moved Sewanee they remodeled IDLEWILD to meet their needs, a front wing with anew door was added for his Dental Office. During the summer months, 1924-1947, the Crockett family moved to the Monteagle Assembly and he practiced Dentistry there. Dr. Crockett was a member of the Emerald-Hodgson Hospital staff from 1943 to 1946. In 1947 IDLEWILD was sold to the University of the South and Dr. and Mrs. Crockett moved to Newman, Georgia. Dr. Crockett died in Columbus, Georgia in 1961. W.J. Crockett Jr. was a member of the Sewanee Academy Class of 1938 and graduated from the University of the South in 1942.

  • The Sewanee News said in June 1873, Mr. Hoge had erected “a neat and tasteful cottage on rising ground west of the village." Mr. Samuel C. Hoge was a Postmaster and also had a store in the village. He died in 1902. The lease was still owned by Nannie and Nellie Hoge in 1922, and Mr. W.L. Myers bought it in 1923. The Myers family still owns it. The house has been encased in stone and looks very modern now.

    Ina Mae Myers said that her "grandparents, William Lawrence and Elizabeth McBride Myers, bought the Hoge House in 1923. My grandfather died in 1926, and my "grandmother continued to live there until her death in 1940. We moved into the house in 1942. There were two wooden houses, and a barn, on the lot. One house had only two rooms, which were rented to students. The other contained eight rooms. It was heated with grates. There was a wood burning cook stove and a well on the back porch. There were no closets and no bathroom. It was pretty primitive"

    Letter dated April 27, 2018 to Mary O'Neill
  • The Sewanee News said in June 1873, Mr. Hoge had erected “a neat and tasteful cottage on rising ground west of the village." Mr. Samuel C. Hoge was a Postmaster and also had a store in the village. He died in 1902. The lease was still owned by Nannie and Nellie Hoge in 1922, and Mr. W.L. Myers bought it in 1923. The Myers family still owns it. The house has been encased in stone and looks very modern now.

    Ina Mae Myers said that her "grandparents, William Lawrence and Elizabeth McBride Myers, bought the Hoge House in 1923. My grandfather died in 1926, and my "grandmother continued to live there until her death in 1940. We moved into the house in 1942. There were two wooden houses, and a barn, on the lot. One house had only two rooms, which were rented to students. The other contained eight rooms. It was heated with grates. There was a wood burning cook stove and a well on the back porch. There were no closets and no bathroom. It was pretty primitive"

    Letter dated April 27, 2018 to Mary O'Neill
  • Stream WZTV Fox 17 Newscasts LIVE starting with Fox 17 This Morning at 5am and News at 9pm.
    On a campus known for its historic buildings Rebel's Rest has always stood out at Sewanee the University of the South.

    The log cabin style residence was built in 1866 for one of the University's founders, George Fairbanks.

    Wednesday night the building sustained heavy damage in a fire that appears to have started on the upper level.

    "When I came here it was engulfed in flames and it was a shock to see," said Sewanee graduate Jaina Patel.

    Rebel's Rest is the only structure remaining on campus from the University's re-founding after the Civil War.

    Sewanee Professor Waring McCrady says the building is important for more than its history though.

    Many students and alumni have known the place in modern times as a location for receptions and the University's Guest House.

    "Really does symbolize historic continuity and devotion to this place," said McCrady.

    That's why the fire is hitting so many people personally at Sewanee.
    Students and alumni like Patel stopped to take pictures Thursday afternoon.

    Even people who aren't affiliated with Sewanee like Bob Burns stopped to look at the damage.

    "This building in particular has so much meaning to so many people," said Burns.

    As chance would have it though the fire does have a silver lining.
    Three of the most priceless art pieces, including a portrait of the original resident George Fairbanks were moved recently for renovations.

    It remains to be seen if those paintings might someday return home but McCrady is among those who believe it's possible.

    He believes there's enough left on the bottom level of the residence to rebuild.

    "There's enough here to work with even if they have to pull it down to the ground and build it back up. They got the pieces for the facade," said McCrady.


    DOWNLOAD OUR APPS:

    NEWS: iPhone/iPad | Android
    WEATHER: iPhone | iPad | Android
    MORNING: iPhone/iPad | Android
    Follow us on Twitter @wztv_fox17 and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
  • Stream WZTV Fox 17 Newscasts LIVE starting with Fox 17 This Morning at 5am and News at 9pm.
    On a campus known for its historic buildings Rebel's Rest has always stood out at Sewanee the University of the South.

    The log cabin style residence was built in 1866 for one of the University's founders, George Fairbanks.

    Wednesday night the building sustained heavy damage in a fire that appears to have started on the upper level.

    "When I came here it was engulfed in flames and it was a shock to see," said Sewanee graduate Jaina Patel.

    Rebel's Rest is the only structure remaining on campus from the University's re-founding after the Civil War.

    Sewanee Professor Waring McCrady says the building is important for more than its history though.

    Many students and alumni have known the place in modern times as a location for receptions and the University's Guest House.

    "Really does symbolize historic continuity and devotion to this place," said McCrady.

    That's why the fire is hitting so many people personally at Sewanee.
    Students and alumni like Patel stopped to take pictures Thursday afternoon.

    Even people who aren't affiliated with Sewanee like Bob Burns stopped to look at the damage.

    "This building in particular has so much meaning to so many people," said Burns.

    As chance would have it though the fire does have a silver lining.
    Three of the most priceless art pieces, including a portrait of the original resident George Fairbanks were moved recently for renovations.

    It remains to be seen if those paintings might someday return home but McCrady is among those who believe it's possible.

    He believes there's enough left on the bottom level of the residence to rebuild.

    "There's enough here to work with even if they have to pull it down to the ground and build it back up. They got the pieces for the facade," said McCrady.


    DOWNLOAD OUR APPS:

    NEWS: iPhone/iPad | Android
    WEATHER: iPhone | iPad | Android
    MORNING: iPhone/iPad | Android
    Follow us on Twitter @wztv_fox17 and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.
  • Tom and Ethel Hawkins bought this house in 1939. Tom was a member of the enormous Hawkins family who were among the first settlers of Sewanee. The cove below the Memorial Cross, known as Hawkins Cove, was where the family first settled. Tom was a son of Wallis and Marguerite “Maggie” Luchsinger Hawkins who were noted for their work at the University Supply Store. Tom himself worked there for 47 years and handled the stationary department. It included textbooks, shoes, caps, and gowns. Tom’s son Hub and his nephew, Jack, came aboard during World War II. After the deaths of Tom and later Ethel, George and Mary Louise Gilliam bought the house in 1967.

    In 1973 the house was bought by William R. Irwin and his wife Helen Louise Prince Irwin. Louise’s mother was a Hawkins, Irene Hawkins Prince.
  • Tom and Ethel Hawkins bought this house in 1939. Tom was a member of the vast Hawkins family who were among the first settlers of Sewanee. The cove below the Memorial Cross known as Hawkins Cove is where the family first settled. Tom was a son of Wallis and Marguerite “Maggie” Luchsinger Hawkins who were noted for their work at the University Supply Store. Tom himself worked there for 47 years and handled the stationary department. It included textbooks, shoes, caps, and gowns. Tom’s son Hub and his nephew Jack came aboard during World War II. After the death of Tom and later Ethel, George and Mary Louise Gilliam bought the house in 1967.

    In 1973 the house was bought by William R. Irwin and his wife Helen Louise Prince Irwin. Louise’s mother was a Hawkins, Irene Hawkins Prince.
  • Tom and Ethel Hawkins bought this house in 1939. Tom was a member of the enormous Hawkins family who were among the first settlers of Sewanee. The cove below the Memorial Cross, known as Hawkins Cove, was where the family first settled. Tom was a son of Wallis and Marguerite “Maggie” Luchsinger Hawkins who were noted for their work at the University Supply Store. Tom himself worked there for 47 years and handled the stationary department. It included textbooks, shoes, caps, and gowns. Tom’s son Hub and his nephew, Jack, came aboard during World War II. After the deaths of Tom and later Ethel, George and Mary Louise Gilliam bought the house in 1967.

    In 1973 the house was bought by William R. Irwin and his wife Helen Louise Prince Irwin. Louise’s mother was a Hawkins, Irene Hawkins Prince.
  • This house stood on the road which ran to the north of the present Quintard building and curved around to the station. It was built by Rev. Franklin L. Knight, the first chaplain of the University and the instructor in Greek and Latin. The second resident was Doctor William M. Harlow. Harlow entered the University in 1873 and was so entranced with Sewanee he never left. After school, Dr. Harlow launched his publishing career and positioned himself as the premier journalist of the town. He was responsible for many of the University’s newspapers, including The University News, The News, The Semi-Weekly University News, University Gossip, and The Mountain News. Many of these publications were printed by “Wm. M. Harlow and Co.” and were subtitled: Free, Frank, and Fearless—his personal motto. It is believed that his printing press was a house in the village that was razed in 1969.

    Dr. Harlow also was the first person Preston Brooks, Jr. partnered with for his general store in the village. When Brooks retired, Harlow acquired the store and turned it into his family home. The house was colloquially known ever after as “The Harlow Place” or “Harlow’s.” Dr. Harlow operated his store as “Harlow and Co. Stationers” where he sold notebooks, pens, and dictionaries, but also household goods like wallpaper and imported pictures. He even kept French harps and Italian violin strings in his inventory. The Flea (another Harlow newspaper) declared in 1882, “‘Brains and Pains’ is the business motto of Harlow and Co. They take the pains to use their brains to please the public and add their gains’” Other ventures of Dr. Harlow’s were poetry, real estate, and medicine (hence Doctor Harlow). He died in Sewanee in 1891. The house’s third resident, Sam Slack, lived with his family in this house for some years. Slack was a clergyman who graduated from the college in 1891 and taught at The Sewanee Military Academy in 1893-1894. As an alumnus, he wrote his reminiscences for Purple Sewanee (pages 29-30, 67, 72-73). The house burned at the turn of the 20th century.
    Chace, J. B. (n.d.). Ancient Mariner - The Life and Work of Henry Chase.
    Gailor, C. (1970). Old Sewanee Houses; The First Fifty-Years, 1860-1910. Unpublished manuscript, Sewanee: The University of the South, Sewanee.
  • “This was built by Mr. Roberts who had a livery stable in the Village. He kept riding horses to rent, and he owned the first public "hack"- A long ambulance with narrow slanting seats running lengthwise and no springs that were observable," wrote Miss Sada Elliott. In 1886 Mrs. Herndon, sister of Mr. Stanley Bell of Nashville owned it after her house on Alabama Avenue, "Bellewood”, had burned. She was post mistress and had three sons in the college. Her husband had been killed in the Civil War. After that, various people lived in it. Mr. Lebowitz, the shoemaker; Mr. J. B. Hunt, while the present Hunt house was being renovated; Mr. deOvies and Miss Lizzie Wadhams. Mr. William Hamilton finally bought it in 1929.

    After William’s death, his sister Mary Frances Hamilton took over the house. At one time in her career, she was the UT extension agent for the area and was an expert gardener. She had many exotic plants and flowers in the yard and had a full-time gardener. She never married and had no children, so when she died in 2001, she left it to her nephew,Webster. Webster never lived in it and tried to put it up for sale. Unfortunately September 11 attack happened right around that time and no house sold in Sewanee until the Askews bought it from Webster in August of 2012. The Askews have two outbuildings that they call cabins that they have rented to hundreds of alumni and parents over the years.

    Many have stayed there on their wedding night, others have proposed marriage in the cabin, celebrated anniversaries, attended the school of letters, and studied for comps. The cabins are not fancy, but people might come visit Sewanee in the future and try to remember where they stayed.
  • “This was built by Mr. Roberts who had a livery stable in the Village. He kept riding horses to rent, and he owned the first public "hack"--" A long ambulance with narrow slanting seats running lengthwise and no springs that were observable," wrote Miss Sada Elliott. In 1886 Mrs. Herndon, sister of Mr. Stanley Bell of Nashville owned it after her house on Alabama Avenue, "Bellewood”, had burned. She was Post Mistress and had three sons in the College. Her husband had been killed in the Civil War. After that, various people lived in it. Mr. Lebowitz, the shoemaker; Mr. J. B. Hunt, while the present Hunt house was being renovated; Mr. deOvies; Miss Lizzie Wadhams. Mr. William Hamilton finally bought it in 1929.

    After William’s death, his sister Mary Frances Hamilton took over the house. At one time in her career, she was the UT extension agent for the area and was an expert gardener. She had many exotic plants and flowers in the yard and had a full time gardener. She never married and had no children, so when she died in 2001, she left it to her nephew Webster. Webster never lived in it and tried to put it up for sale. Unfortunately he September 11 attack happened right around that time and no house sold in Sewanee until the Askews bought it from Webster in August of 2012. The couple have two out buildings that they call cabins that they have rented to hundreds of alumni and parents over the years. Many have stayed there on their wedding night, others have proposed marriage in the cabin, celebrated anniversaries, attended the school of letters, and studied for comps. The cabins are not fancy, but people might come visit Sewanee in the future and try to remember where they stayed.
  • “This was built by Mr. Roberts who had a livery stable in the Village. He kept riding horses to rent, and he owned the first public "hack"--" A long ambulance with narrow slanting seats running lengthwise and no springs that were observable," wrote Miss Sada Elliott. In 1886 Mrs. Herndon, sister of Mr. Stanley Bell of Nashville owned it after her house on Alabama Avenue, "Bellewood”, had burned. She was Post Mistress and had three sons in the College. Her husband had been killed in the Civil War. After that, various people lived in it. Mr. Lebowitz, the shoemaker; Mr. J. B. Hunt, while the present Hunt house was being renovated; Mr. deOvies; Miss Lizzie Wadhams. Mr. William Hamilton finally bought it in 1929.

    After William’s death, his sister Mary Frances Hamilton took over the house. At one time in her career, she was the UT extension agent for the area and was an expert gardener. She had many exotic plants and flowers in the yard and had a full time gardener. She never married and had no children, so when she died in 2001, she left it to her nephew Webster. Webster never lived in it and tried to put it up for sale. Unfortunately he September 11 attack happened right around that time and no house sold in Sewanee until the Askews bought it from Webster in August of 2012. The couple have two out buildings that they call cabins that they have rented to hundreds of alumni and parents over the years. Many have stayed there on their wedding night, others have proposed marriage in the cabin, celebrated anniversaries, attended the school of letters, and studied for comps. The cabins are not fancy, but people might come visit Sewanee in the future and try to remember where they stayed.
  • Bishop William Alexander Guerry (1909-1928) was its first notable owner. Guerry, a graduate from the University and School of Theology in the 1880s, served as University chaplain from 1893 to 1907. Upon his election as bishop coadjutor and then as Bishop of South Carolina, Bishop Guerry became a trustee of the University and shortly after bought this house. He served as a regent from 1917 until he was shot in 1928. On June 5, 1928, an irate priest walked into Bishop Guerry’s office in Charleston and shot him. The priest, also a Sewanee seminary graduate, then killed himself. The bishop died on June 9, 1928. It was thought he likely he would have been Chancellor of the University someday, if he had lived.

    After Guerry’s death, the house was bought by Martin Johnson, nephew of Vice-Chancellor Benjamin Finney. Johnson first worked as an administrative assistant to his uncle during Finney’s vice-chancellorship (1922-1938). In the mid-1930s Johnson leased the university farm for approximately ten years before handing it over to the University. During that time he leased the Guerry House (1941). The house was then leased by Solace Freeman, Bishop Juhan’s son-in-law and commissioner of buildings and lands under Vice-Chancellor Green. The current owners of the house are Dale and Leslie Richardson
  • Bishop William Alexander Guerry (1909-1928) was its first notable owner. Guerry, a graduate from the University and School of Theology in the 1880s, served as University chaplain from 1893 to 1907. Upon his election as bishop coadjutor and then as Bishop of South Carolina, Bishop Guerry became a trustee of the University and shortly after bought this house. He served as a regent from 1917 until he was shot in 1928. On June 5, 1928, an irate priest walked into Bishop Guerry’s office in Charleston and shot him. The priest, also a Sewanee seminary graduate, then killed himself. The bishop died on June 9, 1928. It was thought he likely he would have been Chancellor of the University someday, if he had lived.

    After Guerry’s death, the house was bought by Martin Johnson, nephew of Vice-Chancellor Benjamin Finney. Johnson first worked as an administrative assistant to his uncle during Finney’s vice-chancellorship (1922-1938). In the mid-1930s Johnson leased the university farm for approximately 10 years before handing it over to the University. During that time he leased the Guerry House (1941). The house was then leased by Solace Freeman, Bishop Juhan’s son-in-law and commissioner of buildings and lands under Vice-Chancellor Green. The current owners of the house are Dale and Leslie Richardson.
  • Rev. Arthur Gray’s residence was located east of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity in the Alabama-Mississippi Ave. area. In 1911, Gray gave his home to the University for use as the vice-chancellor’s residence. The University sold it to Bishop Albion Knight, who would become vice-chancellor in 1914. Vice-Chancellor Knight led the University during the trying times of World War I and its effects. However, the Bishop made at least three significant contributions to the University: he paid off an accumulated debt of $300,000; launched and substantially completely a drive for a $1,000,000 endowment; and greatly improved the physical plant. Knight also oversaw the construction of Sewanee staples such as Convocation Hall and Elliot Hall, and brought electricity to the mountain. Vice-Chancellor Knight lived in the Gray mansion until it burned in 1921.

    Despite the loss of the house, a few good anecdotes came out of this fire. While the house was burning Dr. John Nottingham Ware, professor of French, rushed over to help. He had heard there were valuable papers in the attic. Resourcefully, and at great danger, he made his way to the master bedroom where there was a trap door to the attic. However, with no ladder it appeared hopeless until he thought of bouncing on the bed, trampoline style. He made a couple of good jumps when Mrs. Knight called out, “John Ware, get your dirty feet off my bed.” Another story is that the students knew Bishop Knight had a supply of wine in his cellar. The more energetic of them were able to salvage the entire contents of the wine cellar, though some of his fine books were lost to the flames. It was reported that not all of the wine found its way back to the Bishop after the fire.
  • Rev. Arthur Gray’s residence was located east of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity in the Alabama-Mississippi Ave. area. In 1911, Gray gave his home to the University for use as the vice-chancellor’s residence. The University sold it to Bishop Albion Knight, who would become vice-chancellor in 1914. Vice-Chancellor Knight led the University during the trying times of World War I and its effects. However, the Bishop made at least three significant contributions to the University: he paid off an accumulated debt of $300,000; launched and substantially completely a drive for a $1,000,000 endowment; and greatly improved the physical plant. Knight also oversaw the construction of Sewanee staples such as Convocation Hall and Elliot Hall, and brought electricity to the mountain. Vice-Chancellor Knight lived in the Gray mansion until it burned in 1921.

    Despite the loss of the house, a few good anecdotes came out of this fire. While the house was burning Dr. John Nottingham Ware, professor of French, rushed over to help. He had heard there were valuable papers in the attic. Resourcefully, and at great danger, he made his way to the master bedroom where there was a trap door to the attic. However, with no ladder it appeared hopeless until he thought of bouncing on the bed, trampoline style. He made a couple of good jumps when Mrs. Knight called out, “John Ware, get your dirty feet off my bed.” Another story is that the students knew Bishop Knight had a supply of wine in his cellar. The more energetic of them were able to salvage the entire contents of the wine cellar, though some of his fine books were lost to the flames. It was reported that not all of the wine found its way back to the Bishop after the fire.
  • This house was built by Mr. C. J. Schofield, a contractor, builder, and also Secretary to the Vice Chancellor, for Dr. J. W. S. Arnold in 1887. The same year, Mr. Schofield built the Colmore house. Professor Arnold had succeeded Dr. John Elliot as Professor of Chemistry. With him he brought a laboratory worth over $30,000, containing some of the “finest apparatus in the world”. This laboratory was housed in a small building on the back of his property. This one-room cottage, built by Bishop Quintard for Mr. Kline and Mr. Hale, was moved from “opposite St. Luke’s”.

    Dr. Arnold was also active as University Medical Officer. Already suffering from asthma when he came to Sewanee, his health obliged him to retire after one year. He died in 1889. The next owner of the house was Mrs. Henry Edward Young of Charleston. Two of her sons attended the Academy and the University. Captain Albert McNeal lived here while Dean of the Law School from 1901-1907. This was probably the liveliest period of the house’s history. He was a widower with three popular daughters. The oldest, Miss Kate, kept house for him. The younger daughters, great belles, married students and the two sons attended the University. The next owner in 1907 was Edmund “Kirby” Kirby-Smith, the oldest son of General Kirby-Smith. He was an engineer and plantation owner in Mexico. In 1895 he married Miss Virginia Tellez of Salgepas, Mexico, who lived here for some time with her four children. He changed the house by putting a porch around it. The next owners in 1920 were Mr. and Mrs. Grover Sykes. She was one of the Hamptons from Tracy City who were connected with the management of the coal mines there.

    In 1924 Miss Marie Truslow and Miss Charlotte Elliot bought the house and lived here until they died within ten days of each other in 1958. First arriving in Sewanee in 1871, she was the granddaughter of Bishop Stephen Elliot, first Episcopal bishop of Georgia, and niece of Sarah Barnwell Elliot. She was educated at the Atlanta Female Institute and at St. Catherine’s School in Brooklyn. A dramatic soprano, she was once a member of the Metropolitan Opera Chorus and for seven years was affiliated with the department of music of the Library of Congress. During her life in New York City she gave many concerts and there was soloist at the Episcopal Church of Zion and St. Timothy’s. In NYC during WWI Miss Charlotte met again her school classmate, Miss Marie Jermain Truslow, who, because of the war, had just returned from her sculpture studies in Florence, Italy. Together they opened the Home Studio for young ladies interested in studying music and art. In 1924 they closed the school and retired to this home in Sewanee, which for nearly 30 years was the center of much of the community’s musical activity. Miss Charlotte taught music and speech at the University and gave her concert wardrobe to the student dramatic society. For all of these years the house was known as the Truslow-Elliot House. They made many improvements inside as well as the brick terrace visible on the outside. After their deaths, Stephen Puckette, a cousin of Miss Charlotte’s bought it for his home. When he left for the University of Kentucky in 1966, it became the home of the Drs. Anita and Marvin Goodstein of the University Faculty. It is now owned by Joseph DeLozier as of 2016.
  • Built for W.S. Arnold, professor of Geology and Chemistry, in 1887. Ownership passed to Mrs. Henry Edward Young of Charleston out of Arthur Middleton Rutledge Family. 1901-1907 Dean of the Law school lived there Captain Albert McNeal. Bought for $7,000 by Edmund Kirby- Smith oldest son of The General in 1907 The Kirby-Smiths sold it and moved to Mexico to manage family silver mines for a few years. Mr. & Mrs. Grover Sykes with ties to the coal industry in Grundy County owned it. In 1924 Ms. Marie Truslow and MS. Charlotte St. John Elliott ( a Granddaughter of Bishop Elliott of Georgia one of the Founding Bishops) bought it living there until 1958. Stephen and Upshur Puckette then owned it from1958-1966. Stephen a great grandson of Bishop Elliott lived there while he was teaching math. In 1966 they left for him to teach at the University of Kentucky. It is now owned by an alumni Joseph DeLozier
  • Built for W.S. Arnold, professor of Geology and Chemistry, in 1887. Ownership passed to Mrs. Henry Edward Young of Charleston out of Arthur Middleton Rutledge Family. 1901-1907 Dean of the Law school lived there Captain Albert McNeal. Bought for $7,000 by Edmund Kirby- Smith oldest son of The General in 1907 The Kirby-Smiths sold it and Moved to Mexico to manage family silver mines for a few years Mr. & Mrs. Grover Sykes with ties to the coal industry in Grundy County owned it. In 1924 Ms. Marie Truslow and MS. Charlotte St. John Elliott ( a Granddaughter of Bishop Elliott of Georgia one of the Founding Bishops) bought it living there until 1958. Stephen and Upshur Puckette then lived there from 1958-1966. Stephen, a great grandson of Bishop Elliott, lived there while he was teaching math. In 1966 they left for him to teach at the University of Kentucky. It is now owned by an alumni Joseph DeLozier
  • Susan Dabney Smedes built this cottage in 1894. It was named for her admirer and promoter, British Prime Minister William E. Gladstone, who sponsored the publication of Smedes’ book, Memorials of a Southern Planter, in England. A biography of her father, the book was received with almost superlative expressions from the press. It was valued not only as a mirror of life before and during the “war between the States”, but as a valuable addition to the history of the Reconstruction period as well, of which so little had been written. The book had been only meant for her father’s grandchildren, but her brother Virginus, a fellow writer who also tried to capture their father on the page, urged her to give the book to the world. Gladstone had been the one to take Southern Planter overseas (another supporter being Queen Victoria herself). He was reputed to have said, “Let no man say, with this book before him, that the age of chivalry is gone, or that Thomas Dabney was not worthy to sit beside Sir Percival at the round table of King Arthur”.

    After her novel’s success Susan, who had been a widow since 1890, felt the need of a permanent home among her own kind and was advised by one of her sisters to move to Sewanee. Relying on her father’s meager plantation money and her friendship with Bishop Quintard and Miss Lily Green alone, Susan and her other sister Lelia rented a house up on the hill and hosted student boarders. When the school shifted to student dormitories in 1894 the ladies decided to build. They chose the present site of the Gladstone cottage because it was secluded. When they cleared for the building of the cottage, they left nine special silver maple trees, named for the nine surviving brothers and sisters. It was said that as each one passed on, the tree that bore his or her name also died, except for Lelia and Sarah, which stood side by side as the sisters stood in life. Bishop Quintard was a frequent visitor to the cottage and often came unannounced. Sometimes he came to plant in their garden, other times he brought distinguished visitors to meet the ladies. Susan built a house next door to Gladstone Cottage in which she held classes, the children Sewanee coming to her for daily instruction. Susan lived at Gladstone until her death in 1913. Her charm, wit, and gracious hospitality to the families of Sewanee and distinguished visitors to the Mountain greatly enriched the Sewanee community. Portraits of Susan and William Gladstone have been handed down to each owner of Gladstone, as well as Burleigh (the plantation) dining room furniture. In 1928 the cottage was bought by Bishop William George McDowell. At the time he was Bishop of Alabama. The house is currently owned by Craig and Carol Stubblebine.
  • Susan Dabney Smedes built this cottage in 1894. It was named for her admirer and promoter, British Prime Minister William E. Gladstone, who sponsored the publication of Smedes’ book, Memorials of a Southern Planter, in England. A biography of her father, the book was received with almost superlative expressions from the press. It was valued not only as a mirror of life before and during the “war between the States”, but as a valuable addition to the history of the Reconstruction period as well, of which so little had been written. The book had been only meant for her father’s grandchildren, but her brother Virginus, a fellow writer who also tried to capture their father on the page, urged her to give the book to the world. Gladstone had been the one to take Southern Planter overseas (another supporter being Queen Victoria herself). He was reputed to have said, “Let no man say, with this book before him, that the age of chivalry is gone, or that Thomas Dabney was not worthy to sit beside Sir Percival at the round table of King Arthur”.

    After her novel’s success Susan, who had been a widow since 1890, felt the need of a permanent home among her own kind and was advised by one of her sisters to move to Sewanee. Relying on her father’s meager plantation money and her friendship with Bishop Quintard and Miss Lily Green alone, Susan and her other sister Lelia rented a house up on the hill and hosted student boarders. When the school shifted to student dormitories in 1894 the ladies decided to build. They chose the present site of the Gladstone cottage because it was secluded. When they cleared for the building of the cottage, they left nine special silver maple trees, named for the nine surviving brothers and sisters. It was said that as each one passed on, the tree that bore his or her name also died, except for Lelia and Sarah, which stood side by side as the sisters stood in life. Bishop Quintard was a frequent visitor to the cottage and often came unannounced. Sometimes he came to plant in their garden, other times he brought distinguished visitors to meet the ladies. Susan built a house next door to Gladstone Cottage in which she held classes, the children Sewanee coming to her for daily instruction. Susan lived at Gladstone until her death in 1913. Her charm, wit, and gracious hospitality to the families of Sewanee and distinguished visitors to the Mountain greatly enriched the Sewanee community. Portraits of Susan and William Gladstone have been handed down to each owner of Gladstone, as well as Burleigh (the plantation) dining room furniture. In 1928 the cottage was bought by Bishop William George McDowell. At the time he was Bishop of Alabama. The house is currently owned by Craig and Carol Stubblebine.
  • The house is situated on Alabama Ave., which was originally known as St. Chrysostom Place. Allen Gipson moved from Roarks Cove to Sewanee where he ran a general store located directly across from the depot. Later, he and Tom Gipson co-owned a store in the building now home to Shenanigans. Ten years after Allen Gipson’s death, Mrs. Gipson was forced to put up the house for auction as her son had riddled the family with debt. She sold the modest four-room house for $575 to Lafayette O. Myers.

    In 1912, J.W. McBee, the police chief, bought the house. In 1917, the house was given over to McBee’s wife, Mary McBee Summers, who had remarried . After Mrs. Summers’ death Lawrence Green, owner of the City Café, lived there in the 1960s. Tom Wells and his wife then leased it as Mrs. Wells had an interest in older houses. Today the Gipson House is owned by Will and Becca Arnold who are both graduates of the University. Becca Arnold is the daughter of a former matron at the University, Susan Peek.

    Makris, P. S. (2006). Sewanee - People, Places, and Times. Ozark, Missouri: Dogwood Printing.
  • This house, opposite the former Sewanee Military Academy, has had so many residents it is hard to know what to call it. W.A. Gibson, who had a grocery store in the village, built the house in 1869 for his sister, Miss Annie Gibson. However, Miss Gibson didn’t live there until the mid-1870s. The house was first leased to Mrs. Mary McFarlane Duncan in 1871 by the University and then to G.B. Green in 1872. After Miss Gibson moved in, she also took in boarders such as Col. and Mrs. Arthur Middleton Rutledge who stayed with her in May 1875. W.A. Gibson built a large addition in 1874 and for several years he advertised the house for sale with the description “Fourteen rooms, fine well, seven acres.”

    Col. Schaller, professor of modern languages, lived in the house from October 1875 until 1879 before Miss Gibson was the main occupant again for a few years. It was then rented for 10 years until 1881 when Dr. Benjamin Wells bought it. Wells lived there until 1899, during the years he taught at the University. A noted wit, the Purple said of him, “He lays about him with such keen wit and stabs so deftly that the victim only finds he is hurt when the undertaker comes to measure him for his coffin.” In 1893, Burr Ramage became dean of the law school and lived here until he left Sewanee in 1901. Beginning in 1905, the next owner was Samuel Sharpe, an Englishman from Natchez. He had three sons who went to the Sewanee Military Academy and two daughters who married students. In fact, one son-in-law, Newton Middleton, wrote the Alma Mater. The next owner was Mrs. Echols from Huntsville, Alabama, who lived there until 1943 when it was bought by the University. The University rented the house to Col. Alderman, then the Robert P. Moore family, and then others connected with the Sewanee Military Academy. For a few years it was used to store furniture. Frank Thomas, who was an English and dramatics teacher at the Sewanee Military Academy, purchased it in August 1969. The house is currently owned by Nate Parrish.
  • This house, opposite the former Sewanee Military Academy, has had so many residents it is hard to know what to call it. W.A. Gibson, who had a grocery store in the village, built the house in 1869 for his sister, Miss Annie Gibson. However, Miss Gibson didn’t live there until the mid-1870s. The house was first leased to Mrs. Mary McFarlane Duncan in 1871 by the University and then to G.B. Green in 1872. After Miss Gibson moved in, she also took in boarders such as Col. and Mrs. Arthur Middleton Rutledge who stayed with her in May 1875. W.A. Gibson built a large addition in 1874 and for several years he advertised the house for sale with the description “Fourteen rooms, fine well, seven acres.”

    Col. Schaller, professor of modern languages, lived in the house from October 1875 until 1879 before Miss Gibson was the main occupant again for a few years. It was then rented for 10 years until 1881 when Dr. Benjamin Wells bought it. Wells lived there until 1899, during the years he taught at the University. A noted wit, the Purple said of him, “He lays about him with such keen wit and stabs so deftly that the victim only finds he is hurt when the undertaker comes to measure him for his coffin.” In 1893, Burr Ramage became dean of the law school and lived here until he left Sewanee in 1901. Beginning in 1905, the next owner was Samuel Sharpe, an Englishman from Natchez. He had three sons who went to the Sewanee Military Academy and two daughters who married students. In fact, one son-in-law, Newton Middleton, wrote the Alma Mater. The next owner was Mrs. Echols from Huntsville, Alabama, who lived there until 1943 when it was bought by the University. The University rented the house to Col. Alderman, then the Robert P. Moore family, and then others connected with the Sewanee Military Academy. For a few years it was used to store furniture. Frank Thomas, who was an English and dramatics teacher at the Sewanee Military Academy, purchased it in August 1969. The house is currently owned by Nate Parrish.
  • This house, opposite the former Sewanee Military Academy, has had so many residents it is hard to know what to call it. W.A. Gibson, who had a grocery store in the village, built the house in 1869 for his sister, Miss Annie Gibson. However, Miss Gibson didn’t live there until the mid-1870s. The house was first leased to Mrs. Mary McFarlane Duncan in 1871 by the University and then to G.B. Green in 1872. After Miss Gibson moved in, she also took in boarders such as Col. and Mrs. Arthur Middleton Rutledge who stayed with her in May 1875. W.A. Gibson built a large addition in 1874 and for several years he advertised the house for sale with the description “Fourteen rooms, fine well, seven acres.”

    Col. Schaller, professor of modern languages, lived in the house from October 1875 until 1879 before Miss Gibson was the main occupant again for a few years. It was then rented for 10 years until 1881 when Dr. Benjamin Wells bought it. Wells lived there until 1899, during the years he taught at the University. A noted wit, the Purple said of him, “He lays about him with such keen wit and stabs so deftly that the victim only finds he is hurt when the undertaker comes to measure him for his coffin.” In 1893, Burr Ramage became dean of the law school and lived here until he left Sewanee in 1901. Beginning in 1905, the next owner was Samuel Sharpe, an Englishman from Natchez. He had three sons who went to the Sewanee Military Academy and two daughters who married students. In fact, one son-in-law, Newton Middleton, wrote the Alma Mater. The next owner was Mrs. Echols from Huntsville, Alabama, who lived there until 1943 when it was bought by the University. The University rented the house to Col. Alderman, then the Robert P. Moore family, and then others connected with the Sewanee Military Academy. For a few years it was used to store furniture. Frank Thomas, who was an English and dramatics teacher at the Sewanee Military Academy, purchased it in August 1969. The house is currently owned by Nate Parrish.
  • This house occupied the lot where Johnson Hall now stands. Originally an eight room cottage built in 1870 as a dormitory, after signing the lease in 1879 Bishop Galleher had the house enlarged. Bishop Galleher, a successor to Bishop Polk as Bishop of Louisiana, was a Confederate Veteran and said to be a charming man. Galleher and his wife had five children. One daughter, Alice, married Bishop Sessums, Galleher’s successor as Bishop of Louisiana. Sessums was the first Sewanee alumnus to be elected Bishop. The other daughter, Charlotte (Miss Dot), married Alex Blacklock, Sewanee alumnus, famous athlete, and later a Trustee. Bishop Galleher’s three sons (John, Paul, and Clarkson) went to the Sewanee Grammar School, the University and its law school, and all three went into the Army.

    Mrs. Galleher was known for her beauty and personality; she was also known for her famous pet, Pierce Galleher. Pierce could predict precisely when the chapel bell going to ring, and five or ten seconds before it sounded, he left home and made a beeline for old St. Augustine’s, racing to get to his place on the chancel. After Bishop Galleher died in 1891, Mrs. Galleher ran the house as a boarding house for summer visitors until she was 85. The day before Thanksgiving 1924, the yardman was burning leaves, some were caught by the wind and set ablaze the leaves in the gutters of the house. The house was vacant because Mrs. Galleher was wintering in New Orleans. There was no effort made to save the house since the fire was too far advanced when discovered. The Kirby-Smith house next door was saved by the use of wet blankets placed on the roof where sparks landed. When told the news Mrs. Galleher calmly said, "I had the house when I needed it most and now it doesn't matter."
  • The first house on this site was built in 1873 by General Gorgas for a student dormitory. The house almost immediately burnt in December of 1873, and he used the $1, 200 insurance to build another. It had four rooms upstairs and four downstairs- the typical amount of rooms for student cottages. When Mr. Gailor came in 1882 to teach at St. Luke's he lived there and his mother boarded with Mrs. Tucker at Palmetto. Dr. Hodgson, the Vice-Chancellor had bought the Gorgas house and cottage and offered, if Mr. Gailor would give up a lease he'd taken on the lot where Johnson Hall is now, to sell him a strip of his own lot with the cottage. This was done in 1884. Dr. Hodgson had known Chaplain Gailor in the seminary in New York, and the families were old friends.

    When Gailor was made Bishop in 1893 he kept it as a summer home where the four Gailor children would grow up. Charlotte Gailor used to say that her parents, whenever the roof leaked, would add a room instead of having the old roof repaired. There were three bathrooms and, depending on one’s definition, six or seven bedrooms. When the living room was conjured up, with its own fireplace, a chapel was added at the far end. The Bishop conducted family prayers there every evening, and an occasional baptism and even confirmation. After his death in 1935 the house was inherited by Miss Charlotte Gailor, his daughter and the chapel was deconsecrated. Its altar went to a small church in a neighboring town and Bishop Quintard's stained-glass window is now in the University Chaplain's office, in the cloister of All Saints' Chapel. Two small stained-glass window and a Madonna remained as testimony to the room's original function. Charlotte Gailor lived there till her death in April of 1972. The Gailor House, inherited by Dr. Robert Daniel, her nephew, and then by his children, was sold to the University in the 1980s. It has since been torn down for Chen Hall (1991), the Vice Chancellor’s current residence.
  • The first house on this site was built in 1873 by General Gorgas for a student dormitory. The house almost immediately burnt in December of 1873 and he used the $1, 200 insurance to build another. It had four rooms upstairs and four downstairs- the typical amount of rooms for student cottages. When Mr. Gailor came in 1882 to teach at St. Luke's he lived there and his mother boarded with Mrs. Tucker at Palmetto. Dr. Hodgson, the Vice-Chancellor had bought the Gorgas house and cottage and offered, if Mr. Gailor would give up a lease he'd taken on the lot where Johnson Hall is now, to sell him a strip of his own lot with the cottage. This was done in 1884. Dr. Hodgson had known Chaplain Gailor in the seminary in New York, and the families were old friends.

    When Gailor was made Bishop in 1893 he kept it as a summer home where the four Gailor children would grow up. Charlotte Gailor used to say that her parents, whenever the roof leaked, would add a room instead of having the old roof repaired. There were three bathrooms and, depending on one’s definition, six or seven bedrooms. When the living room was conjured up, with its own fireplace, a chapel was added at the far end. The Bishop conducted family prayers there every evening, and an occasional baptism and even confirmation. After his death in 1935 the house was inherited by Miss Charlotte Gailor, his daughter and the chapel was deconsecrated. Its altar went to a small church in a neighboring town and Bishop Quintard's stained-glass window is now in the University Chaplain's office, in the cloister of All Saints' Chapel. Two small stained-glass window and a Madonna remained as testimony to the room's original function. Charlotte Gailor lived there till her death in April of 1972. The Gailor House, inherited by Dr. Robert Daniel, her nephew, and then by his children, was sold to the University in the 1980s. It has since been torn down for Chen Hall (1991), the Vice Chancellor’s current residence.
  • The first house on this site was built in 1873 by General Gorgas for a student dormitory. The house almost immediately burnt in December of 1873, and he used the $1, 200 insurance to build another. It had four rooms upstairs and four downstairs- the typical amount of rooms for student cottages. When Mr. Gailor came in 1882 to teach at St. Luke's he lived there and his mother boarded with Mrs. Tucker at Palmetto. Dr. Hodgson, the Vice-Chancellor had bought the Gorgas house and cottage and offered, if Mr. Gailor would give up a lease he'd taken on the lot where Johnson Hall is now, to sell him a strip of his own lot with the cottage. This was done in 1884. Dr. Hodgson had known Chaplain Gailor in the seminary in New York, and the families were old friends.

    When Gailor was made Bishop in 1893 he kept it as a summer home where the four Gailor children would grow up. Charlotte Gailor used to say that her parents, whenever the roof leaked, would add a room instead of having the old roof repaired. There were three bathrooms and, depending on one’s definition, six or seven bedrooms. When the living room was conjured up, with its own fireplace, a chapel was added at the far end. The Bishop conducted family prayers there every evening, and an occasional baptism and even confirmation. After his death in 1935 the house was inherited by Miss Charlotte Gailor, his daughter and the chapel was deconsecrated. Its altar went to a small church in a neighboring town and Bishop Quintard's stained-glass window is now in the University Chaplain's office, in the cloister of All Saints' Chapel. Two small stained-glass window and a Madonna remained as testimony to the room's original function. Charlotte Gailor lived there till her death in April of 1972. The Gailor House, inherited by Dr. Robert Daniel, her nephew, and then by his children, was sold to the University in the 1980s. It has since been torn down for Chen Hall (1991), the Vice Chancellor’s current residence.
  • In 1866 the Rt. Rev. Charles Todd Quintard, Sewanee's first vice-chancellor, moved into a recently completed two-room log cabin. It was one of only two houses in Sewanee, the other being Rebel's Rest, and the two structures were similar. The original Fulford Hall was destroyed by a fire in 1889 and replaced by a larger frame building in 1890. Although it has undergone several significant renovations over the years, the 1890 structure still stands today. From the 1910s to the 1930s, the building functioned as a dormitory and an infirmary. Fulford Hall has housed seven vice-chancellors, Quintard in the 19th century and five from the tenure of Alexander Guerry through that of Robert Ayres. In 1989, Fulford Hall became home to Office of Admission, Office of Communications, and Office of Financial Aid.

  • In 1866 the Rt. Rev. Charles Todd Quintard, Sewanee's first vice-chancellor, moved into a recently completed two-room log cabin. It was one of only two houses in Sewanee, the other being Rebel's Rest, and the two structures were similar. The original Fulford Hall was destroyed by a fire in 1889 and replaced by a larger frame building in 1890. Although it has undergone several significant renovations over the years, the 1890 structure still stands today. From the 1910s to the 1930s, the building functioned as a dormitory and an infirmary. Fulford Hall has housed seven vice-chancellors, Quintard in the 19th century and five from the tenure of Alexander Guerry through that of Robert Ayres. In 1989, Fulford Hall became home to Office of Admission, Office of Communications, and Office of Financial Aid.

  • In 1866 the Rt. Rev. Charles Todd Quintard, Sewanee's first vice-chancellor, moved into a recently completed two-room log cabin. It was one of only two houses in Sewanee, the other being Rebel's Rest, and the two structures were similar. The original Fulford Hall was destroyed by a fire in 1889 and replaced by a larger frame building in 1890. Although it has undergone several significant renovations over the years, the 1890 structure still stands today. From the 1910s to the 1930s, the building functioned as a dormitory and an infirmary. Fulford Hall has housed seven vice-chancellors, Quintard in the 19th century and five from the tenure of Alexander Guerry through that of Robert Ayres. In 1989, Fulford Hall became home to Office of Admission, Office of Communications, and Office of Financial Aid.

  • In 1866 the Rt. Rev. Charles Todd Quintard, Sewanee's first vice-chancellor, moved into a recently completed two-room log cabin. It was one of only two houses in Sewanee, the other being Rebel's Rest, and the two structures were similar. The original Fulford Hall was destroyed by a fire in 1889 and replaced by a larger frame building in 1890. Although it has undergone several significant renovations over the years, the 1890 structure still stands today. From the 1910s to the 1930s, the building functioned as a dormitory and an infirmary. Fulford Hall has housed seven vice-chancellors, Quintard in the 19th century and five from the tenure of Alexander Guerry through that of Robert Ayres. In 1989, Fulford Hall became home to Office of Admission, Office of Communications, and Office of Financial Aid.

  • In 1866 the Rt. Rev. Charles Todd Quintard, Sewanee's first vice-chancellor, moved into a recently completed two-room log cabin. It was one of only two houses in Sewanee, the other being Rebel's Rest, and the two structures were similar. The original Fulford Hall was destroyed by a fire in 1889 and replaced by a larger frame building in 1890. Although it has undergone several significant renovations over the years, the 1890 structure still stands today. From the 1910s to the 1930s, the building functioned as a dormitory and an infirmary. Fulford Hall has housed seven vice-chancellors, Quintard in the 19th century and five from the tenure of Alexander Guerry through that of Robert Ayres. In 1989, Fulford Hall became home to Office of Admission, Office of Communications, and Office of Financial Aid.

  • In 1866 the Rt. Rev. Charles Todd Quintard, Sewanee's first vice-chancellor, moved into a recently completed two-room log cabin. It was one of only two houses in Sewanee, the other being Rebel's Rest, and the two structures were similar. The original Fulford Hall was destroyed by a fire in 1889 and replaced by a larger frame building in 1890. Although it has undergone several significant renovations over the years, the 1890 structure still stands today. From the 1910s to the 1930s, the building functioned as a dormitory and an infirmary. Fulford Hall has housed seven vice-chancellors, Quintard in the 19th century and five from the tenure of Alexander Guerry through that of Robert Ayres. In 1989, Fulford Hall became home to Office of Admission, Office of Communications, and Office of Financial Aid.

Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2