Browse Items (73 total)

Galleher Hall002.jpg
This house occupied the lot where Johnson Hall now stands. Originally an eight room cottage built in 1870 as a dormitory, after signing the lease in 1879 Bishop Galleher had the house enlarged. Bishop Galleher, a successor to Bishop Polk as Bishop…

21026843-Hospitality-House001.jpg
The home on University Avenue, Sewanee, now occupied by the Hospitality shop is one of the older homes on the domain. The Rev. Mr. Philip Werlein has many happy memoiries of visits to his Grand-Mother in this home, built in 1891? "IDLEWILD" was the…

Corpening Hall crop.jpg
This house stood on University Avenue on the lot where the stone house owned by the University next to Mrs. Wyatt-Brown's is now.It was built in 1871 by Dr. Buchanan and described then as "large and commodious". It was a big square two storied house…

John Elliott's House.jpg
This house was built by Dr. John Barnwell Elliott in 1874. Dr. Elliott was the second son of Bishop Stephen Elliott and came to Sewanee in 1869 at the age of 28 to be the resident physician and instructor in chemistry. Since the University had been…

22327437-Underwood-House.jpg
This house was on the site of Benedict Hall. R.W.B Elliott is the first name on the lease and he may have built it.

Mr M.M. Benton, who was a Proctor-a salaried position for an in the early days lived there. First Mrs A.C. Hall, a friend of Mrs.…

Waring McCrady Home002 (1).jpg
In the very early years of the University there were several instances of Confederate widows who moved to Sewanee in order to afford putting their sons through school at the University. One such case was Mrs. Mary Dunbar. In 1873 she took out a…

WaringMcCradyHome001.jpg
In the very early years of the University there were several instances of Confederate widows who moved to Sewanee in order to afford putting their sons through school at the University. One such case was Mrs. Mary Dunbar. In 1873 she took out a…

Waring-Webb House003_small.jpg
The Mountain News of April 22, 1879 reported, "Miss [Annie] Gibson is to have a residence built on what is known as the ‘Shaller lot’ West End is improving.” Mr. Shaller's name was on the lease in 1875, but evidently he never built on the lot. The…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2